[orthodox-synod] Appeal

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2000
    • Chris Maas
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 7 3:15 PM
        This is annoying.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Fr. Alexis Duncan [mailto:7848@...]
        Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 6:14 PM
        To: rocaclergy@yahoogroups.com; Orthodox-Rocor@Yahoogroups. Com;
        Orthodox-Synod@Yahoogroups. Com; Rocaclergy; Rocorclergy@Yahoogroups.
        Com; Southern-Clergy@Yahoogroups. Com
        Subject: [orthodox-synod] RE: Appeal

        Names added to the Appeal are:

        Archpriest Wsewolod Dutikov, Deacon Nicholas Lukianov and
        Reader Peter Bushunow.

        Any clergyman of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad may add
        their name to the Appeal by sending an email to:
        appeal@... <mailto:appeal@...>

        The Appeal has been posted to a public web site and will
        have an updated list of names daily. That web site is:
        www.orthodoxinfo.biz/appeal.htm
        <http://www.orthodoxinfo.biz/appeal.htm>

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • ourlittlecity@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 7 6:22 PM
          In a message dated 7/7/2004 6:52:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          Chris@... writes:
          This is annoying.
          If you think that was annoying; visit my most annoying web page or clip and
          paste: http://www.mostannoyingwebpage.com/v1/index2.html

          rdr. john dunn

        • Theodora Wright
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7 7:00 PM
            Only if you dare and have a computer analyst standing over your shouder!
            :>)))))))))))))

            LOL

            Theodora in The Mountains

            > In a message dated 7/7/2004 6:52:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            > Chris@... writes:
            > This is annoying.
            > If you think that was annoying; visit my most annoying web page or clip
            and
            > paste: http://www.mostannoyingwebpage.com/v1/index2.html
            >
            > rdr. john dunn

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • German Ciuba
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 7 10:17 PM
              I strongly object to the message posted by Reader John Dunn. Because it
              appeared in the thread labeled "Re:Appeal," I presumed it had something
              to do with current church affairs, and I clicked on the included link.
              It led to a series of Java script popups which could not be closed and
              did not allow one to close the window or the browser. I had to resort to
              CTRL-ALT-DEL to get out. This sort of stuff is like some childish prank
              and certainly has no place on a list devoted to the Church. It is all
              the more shameful coming from one who signs himself a cleric of our
              Church. It is bad enough that we are annoyed with one another over the
              way serious church questions are handled, without having the annoyance
              quotient increased by petty hacking. May I suggest that the moderator of
              this list or the reader's parish priest instruct him in appropriate
              behaviour?
              Hieromonk German Ciuba
              Old Forge, Pa

              > In a message dated 7/7/2004 6:52:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              > Chris@... writes:
              > This is annoying.
              > If you think that was annoying; visit my most annoying web page or
              > clip and
              > paste: http://www.mostannoyingwebpage.com/v1/index2.html
              >
              > rdr. john dunn

              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1290kjjqn/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705074598:HM/EXP=1089336158/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

            • Maureen Girard
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8 4:16 AM
                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, ourlittlecity@a... wrote:
                > In a message dated 7/7/2004 6:52:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                > Chris@p... writes:
                > This is annoying.
                > If you think that was annoying; visit my most annoying web page
                or clip and
                > paste: http://www.mostannoyingwebpage.com/v1/index2.html>>

                Are you the nut who created this page or are you the nut who looks
                for wacky links in order to aggrevate the rest of us?
                In short, you lost any semblance of credibility.
                Maureen

              • ourlittlecity@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8 6:49 PM
                  This is my apologia: It was not meant as a prank!

                  Fr. Alexis made a post.

                  Someone replied saying, "This is annoying."

                  I replied by giving a web-site which clarified what constitutes "annoying."

                  Indeed, my post was very much about our Church affairs.

                  Are we "annoyed" when some of our members in our ROCOR "fellowship" express
                  themselves in a joint statement about matters which are pressing very hard upon
                  the conscience of all? If we can't patiently allow one another to voice
                  their concerns and have already become annoyed at a simple public appeal which
                  only allows others of like minds or even of opposing minds to read and understand
                  their expressed concerns; how shall we ever become like-minded again?

                  Why are we becoming annoyed when others express their prayer-filled hope [and
                  the letter which Fr. Alexis posted was full of hope in the face of fears].
                  It seems to me that there is plenty of fear on both side of the matter which
                  prompted the cause to make a public appeal. The letter was also very much a
                  prayer in the most theological sense; for what are prayers if they are not
                  appeals?

                  Our Lord praised the woman who stood outside the judges door begging for
                  mercy and justice in her cause; do we now chase away one another fearing the
                  judges might hear and act on their behalf and alleviate their suffering? But
                  actually both sides are suffering from the same sickness; i.e., fear. And ever
                  since this fear began to brood in our hearts, on both sides of the matter; we
                  have become like those who have their "sword upon his thigh, because of the fear
                  in the night." [Song of Solomon 2:8]

                  I began using the internet in September of 2001, and since that time I have
                  heard little else but the sounds of swords being sharpened in the night. I
                  have read the taunts of men and women who who have named our fellowship "Ichabod"
                  [2 Sam. 4:21]; some who out of the fear in their hearts altogether abandoned
                  our ship. I have never been tempted by their cries from the deep calling
                  others to follow their lead, but it was only of late that I began to take hope in
                  the promise which St. John of S and SF made saying something like: Our little
                  vessel will survive until the end.

                  We are in the hour for bravery and courage not fear and loathing and I
                  believe the letter posted by Fr. Alexis expressed just that even while it
                  acknowledged the present hour as also being one of fear, and such fear; for some have
                  lost "all hope that we should be saved." [Acts 27:20] But the word remains:
                  "Except these abide in the ship; ye cannot be saved." [ibid. vs. 31]

                  Let us put away suspicious minds which can only derive evil from the words
                  and actions of others. And with that say again, my post was not a prank, but
                  a lesson on the real meaning of annoyance, that is to say it was an object
                  lesson. I will except the verbal reprimand in a spirit of good faith, because I
                  believe they were written in that spirit.

                  For the record, I did not create that web-site and if by posting it I suffer
                  from some loss of semblance of credibility; then that also is a good thing.
                  God knows our hearts and any loss we suffer in ourselves works to our good
                  if we love God; for he measures and weighs the value and worth of every word
                  and deed without any annoyance.

                  One more point, all anyone had to do to leave the web-site was follow the
                  directions, for like flies annoyances eventually flit away. That being said:

                  I bow down asking all who were offended by my lesson to forgive me. I
                  concede that nobody has made me a master or teacher over anyone here.

                  May God be merciful to me a sinner.

                  rdr. john dunn

                • priest Mark Gilstrap
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 15, 2007
                    Several times over the years we've asked for a voluntarily limit to the
                    number of postings per day per person. On the ORTHODOX list which spawned
                    this list the software takes care of this automatically. Here we ask your
                    cooperation. Orthodox-synod is not meant to be the private sounding board
                    for any particulat member or perspective. 2 to 3 messages per day should be
                    suffcient. Multiple topics and/or links are easily included in one message

                    Recently several Guildlines have been violated. Let me reiterate the most
                    obvious ones.

                    > Do not send or attach entire documents to the list.
                    > Send a URL (web address) where interested readers
                    > can find it. Or offer to send it to those who request it.
                    >
                    > See http://www.makeashorterlink.com/ for help in
                    > reducing the size of long links

                    >If you didn't write it, haven't contributed
                    >anything to a posting's composition, haven't
                    >made clear its relevance or defined the
                    >context (or have violated any other guideline),
                    >ask yourself why you are thinking of sending it.

                    This means to not just drop the entrie text of something like a bomb. Put a
                    little of yourself into it. Explain the relevancy of the excerpts you
                    choose to include, but don't quote the whole thing. Instead make a link to
                    the bulk of the text. And remember, the language of this list is English.