Re: Red Square [was: Patriarch poses with NKVD General: Stop it!]

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2005
      Michael Tscheekar wrote:

      > Someone was also "scandalized" by the fact that the photo was apparently
      > taken at the Kremlin wall in Red Square. Red Square!
      >
      > Red Square has now also been the venue of Pascha processions and the
      > prayers of a quarter of a million pilgrims filling the square on the
      > return of the Kazan icon. Red Square is sanctified by the church at its
      > south end and by the chapel at its north entrance.

      JRS: There is nothing political about the name "Red Square" -- it has nothing to do with
      "Reds"!

      The name in Russian, "Krasnaya Ploschad'", might better be translated as "Beautiful Square"
      -- "krasny" means "beautiful" in Slavonic and older Russian. It was so named because of the
      many churches and chapels.

    • vkozyreff
      Message 2 of 2 , May 30, 2005
        Dear List,

        Below is more about the meaning of "Krasniy" (Red, beautiful):

        The land that Red Square is situated on was originally covered with
        buildings, but was cleared in Moscow's great fire of 1493. The newly-
        opened area (originally known simply as the Pozhar, or "burnt-out
        place") gradually came to serve as Moscow's primary marketplace.

        Later, it was also used for various public ceremonies and
        proclamations, and occasionally as the site of coronation for
        Russia's tsars. The square has been gradually built up since that
        point, and has been used for official ceremonies by all Russian
        governments since it was established.

        The name of Red Square derives not from the colour of the bricks
        around it, nor from the link between the colour red and Communism.
        Rather, the name came about because the Russian word Êðàñíàÿ
        (krasnaya) can mean either "red" or "beautiful".

        The word was originally applied (with the meaning "beautiful") to
        Saint Basil's Cathedral (in fact, the Church of the protection of the
        Mother of God, my note), and was subsequently transferred to the
        nearby square. It is believed that the square acquired its current
        name (replacing the older Pozhar) in the 17th century.

        http://www.answers.com/topic/red-square

        In the Pascal Canon, we sing : "Ïàñõà êðàñíàÿ, Ïàñõà, Ãîñïîäíÿ
        Ïàñõà!" "Paskha krasnaya, Paskha, Gospodnaya Paskha!..."

        In the song « Vdol po Volge ryekye » (down the Volga river), the
        young man sings: "ß çàäóìàëñÿ, Ïðèãîðþíèëñÿ Îá îäíîé äóøå, Êðàñíîé
        äåâèöå », "Ya zadumalsya, prigoriunilsya ob odnoy dushe, krasnoy
        dyevitse "I came to think and feel sad about a soul, about a
        beautiful girl".