Help with parish library

  • Fr. Basil Grisel
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11, 2005
      Dear friends,

      Christ is risen ! Xpucmoc Bockpece !

      We are in the process of moving into our new building which we intend to set up a lending library of books, periodicals, C.D.'s and videos. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to categorize things and make this work. I don't have the background, nor the time. I thought maybe someone had already been through this and could offer some assistance - a place to go, simple instructions or a free download.

      Thank you !

      In XC, Father Basil

    • DSvo623877@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 11, 2005
        Dear Father,

        Christ is Risen!

        I checked for some websites you could look at. Some offer overall
        organizational advice and some offer sources for materials and cataloging systems etc.
        Here are some that looked most promising:

        _www.acu.edu/academics/library/cfm/clbegin.html_
        (http://www.acu.edu/academics/library/cfm/clbegin.html)

        _www.resourcemate.com_ (http://www.resourcemate.com) offers cataloging,
        searching and circulation software

        _www.bible.org/docs/pastor/library/maness/library.htm_
        (http://www.bible.org/docs/pastor/library/maness/library.htm) leads to a book called Starting a
        Church library by Ron Maness

        _www.ibiblio.org/librariesfaq_ (http://www.ibiblio.org/librariesfaq) has a
        lot on organizing especially for samll libraries.

        A quick tip might be to take a look on the back of the title page (the
        verso) and look at the Cataloging in Publication from the Library of Congress also
        sometimes called CIP.

        Another way to get cataloging information is to look it up in a library
        online catalog and use what they already have done for you. Especially could be
        useful fro videos, cds etc.

        Good luck.

        In Christ,

        Peggy