The tradition of compassion calling us to act for those in need

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2005
      Xpuctoc Bockpece!

      "....The tradition of compassion calling us to act for those in need. St. John
      Chrysostom preaching on Matthew 25:
      Do you want to honor Christ’s body? Then do not scorn him in his nakedness,
      nor honor him here in the church with silken garments while neglecting him
      outside where he is cold and naked. . . . Of what use is it to weigh down
      Christ’s table with golden cups, when he himself is dying of hunger? First,
      fill him when he is hungry; then use the means you have left to adorn his
      table. . . . What is the use of providing the table with cloths woven of gold
      thread, and not providing Christ himself with the clothes he needs?

      Or, to quote a modern Orthodox witness,
      The way to God lies through love of people. At the Last Judgment I shall not
      be asked whether I was successful in my ascetic exercises, nor how many bows
      and prostrations I made. Instead I shall be asked, Did I feed the hungry,
      clothe the naked, visit the sick and the prisoners. That is all I shall be
      asked. About every poor, hungry and imprisoned person the Savior says “I”: “I
      was hungry, and thirsty, I was sick and in prison.” To think that He puts an
      equal sign between Himself and anyone in need . . . I always knew it, but now
      it has somehow penetrated to my sinews. It fills me with awe.

      The same passage from St. Matthew....." can be attributed to Father Deacon Vadim's
      work in Brighton Beach, NY - his email is varefiev@... & address

      St. John’s Foundation for The Homeless

      4718 Beach 48th St., 2nd Fl.

      Brooklyn, NY 11224, USA

      More information on his work with those in need of our love can be found on this
      site (but it is only in Russian) http://www.brooklynchurch.org/.. hopefully some one
      can translate it in to English.. perhaps some one reading it will give assistance to
      Father Vadim & those that work with him....

      Christ is Risen!