Re: Greek Catholic or Greek Orthodox (& Christos Anesti)

  • Michael Tscheekar
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
      Everyone has answered correctly that it was Greek Catholics (not
      Orthodox) who did the final blessing in Greek, starting with Christos
      Anesti although the announcer said it would be Memory Eternal.

      Memory Eternal is not sung after Easter; the Greek Catholics (mostly)
      use the Western Paschalion, so they sang Christos Anesti.

      Who were the fully-vested (Greek Catholic) bishops who did the
      blessing? I think one must have been the cardinal who is Major
      Archbishop of Kiev. I don't know who the other one was, and I don't
      know why they used Greek rather than Slavonic.

      Michael
      Santa Maria

    • Fr Anastasy
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
        I am not responding to the question, but...

        A comment was made on Greek (National) Television that the Greek Catholic
        Trisagion Service
        in Greek at the papal funeral was offensive to Pat. Bartholomew of the EP
        and Arbp. Christodulos
        of Athens; it did not mention if Arbp. Anastasios of Albania was also
        offended.

        Was it because of the Greek? The confusion (i.e., the question raised on
        this list) that it created?

        Interesting.

        Love in Christ,
        Anastasy the Presbyter

        > Everyone has answered correctly that it was Greek Catholics (not
        > Orthodox) who did the final blessing in Greek, starting with Christos
        > Anesti although the announcer said it would be Memory Eternal.
        >
        > Memory Eternal is not sung after Easter; the Greek Catholics (mostly)
        > use the Western Paschalion, so they sang Christos Anesti.
        >
        > Who were the fully-vested (Greek Catholic) bishops who did the
        > blessing? I think one must have been the cardinal who is Major
        > Archbishop of Kiev. I don't know who the other one was, and I don't
        > know why they used Greek rather than Slavonic.
        >
        > Michael
        > Santa Maria

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • CW
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2005
          The use of Greek surprised me as well. I would imagine it had some political purpose or it may have been used to show the universality of the church of Rome.

          CW
          Everyone has answered correctly that it was Greek Catholics (not
          Orthodox) who did the final blessing in Greek, starting with Christos
          Anesti although the announcer said it would be Memory Eternal.

          Memory Eternal is not sung after Easter; the Greek Catholics (mostly)
          use the Western Paschalion, so they sang Christos Anesti.

          Who were the fully-vested (Greek Catholic) bishops who did the
          blessing? I think one must have been the cardinal who is Major
          Archbishop of Kiev. I don't know who the other one was, and I don't
          know why they used Greek rather than Slavonic.

          Michael
          Santa Maria

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Children International