Re: [orthodox-synod] Greek Catholic or Greek Orthodox?

  • Theodora Wright
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
      I watched the service this afternoon. They were Eastern Rite Catholic doing
      the chanting and service. The Pope had requsted that he Eastern Rite have a
      part in the Mass. The Orthodox were standing to the side with others. Some
      of the new media,un imformed, did not do well explaining this and the
      Catholic telly person did no better. I sometimes think that learned people
      in trying to explain their realm of knowledge forget that those they are
      talking to don't know what they know.

      Theodora in The Mountains

      snip
      > If someone happened to watch the Pope's funeral on TV, can you please
      > advise if the chanting of /Hristos Anesti/ and the following Litija was
      > done by Greek Orthodox or by Greek Catholics? Initially, during the
      > service, WOR radio said they were Greek Catholics, but who knows. They
      > read a brief translation of the prayers, though it must have been
      > preprinted, since the initial /Hrisots Anesti/ was translated as
      > something else. At the end, the commentator said "And now the Greeks
      > will chant Memory Eternal" Of course, they sung /Hristos Anesti/ once
      again.

      > I was clenching the steering wheel so hard, I nearly pulled it out when
      > I heard the announcer say, "Oh the Greek Catholics have long felt like
      > second-class citizens in the RCC. THis is probably the first time that
      > there was some Byzantine rite in the a Latin papal funeral. And of
      > course,* the Ukrainian Catholic Church was the most persecuted church of
      > the twentieth century*; in the USSR people had to meet and pray in the
      > woods. Now, thanks to the Orange Revolution, the winds of democracy are
      > blowing through the Ukraine and the UCC is free one again." He even went
      > on to mention the destruction of the RC crosses in Lithuania and how
      > they would the believers would come again secretly and replace them.
      Grrrr!

      > On a related note, its odd that keybaords in France and elsewhere fall
      > silent when the MP takes a somewhat hardline vis-a-vis the Vatican.
      > Maybe its just me.

    • rdsieckmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
        Could you please clarify this for me:

        The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
        Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for more
        Orthodox there ! !
        In a message dated 4/8/2005 9:57:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        hristofor@... writes:

[...]

        /

        No,it`s not just you.
        To protect my sanity and spiritual welfare, I reduced the
        exposure to papal news to a minimum possible.
        They don`t really know who Roman Catholics are and /or their doctrines and
        their history,do you expect them to make other distinctions? I hope is ignorance
        only..
        No,I do not hate them, just happened to know some history,yes I do hope God
        will give the Pope eternal rest,he was a good servant of his Church,but...a
        Pope is a Pope. Not Christ.There is ...some difference there. Accummulation of
        crouds is ok,but...where were they on their Holy Friday?
        I don`t mean only the St.Peter square,or Jerusalem,but all their churches,all
        over the world.
        The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
        Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for more
        Orthodox there ! ! !
        See...it is easy for me to get started Hristofor,I `d better go back to
        St.Ephraim`s prayer.
        Have a good ,peaceful and spiritually edifying Lent,
        In Christ,
        Melpomeni Mari.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Children International
        Would you give Hope to a Child in need?

        · Click Here to meet a Girl
        And Give Her Hope

        · Click Here to meet a Boy
        And Change His Life

        Learn More

      • Meni53@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
          In a message dated 4/8/2005 11:01:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          diane59@... writes:

          The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
          Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for
          more
          Orthodox there ! !

          Too complicated...it goes back a thousand something years.
          Better keep a safety distance !
          In Christ,
          Melpomeni Mari.