Re: [orthodox-synod] Greek Catholic or Greek Orthodox?

  • Meni53@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
      In a message dated 4/8/2005 9:57:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      hristofor@... writes:

      If someone happened to watch the Pope's funeral on TV, can you please
      advise if the chanting of /Hristos Anesti/ and the following Litija was
      done by Greek Orthodox or by Greek Catholics? Initially, during the
      service, WOR radio said they were Greek Catholics, but who knows. They
      read a brief translation of the prayers, though it must have been
      preprinted, since the initial /Hrisots Anesti/ was translated as
      something else. At the end, the commentator said "And now the Greeks
      will chant Memory Eternal" Of course, they sung /Hristos Anesti/ once again.

      I was clenching the steering wheel so hard, I nearly pulled it out when
      I heard the announcer say, "Oh the Greek Catholics have long felt like
      second-class citizens in the RCC. THis is probably the first time that
      there was some Byzantine rite in the a Latin papal funeral. And of
      course,* the Ukrainian Catholic Church was the most persecuted church of
      the twentieth century*; in the USSR people had to meet and pray in the
      woods. Now, thanks to the Orange Revolution, the winds of democracy are
      blowing through the Ukraine and the UCC is free one again." He even went
      on to mention the destruction of the RC crosses in Lithuania and how
      they would the believers would come again secretly and replace them. Grrrr!

      On a related note, its odd that keybaords in France and elsewhere fall
      silent when the MP takes a somewhat hardline vis-a-vis the Vatican.
      Maybe its just me.

      /

      No,it`s not just you.
      To protect my sanity and spiritual welfare, I reduced the
      exposure to papal news to a minimum possible.
      They don`t really know who Roman Catholics are and /or their doctrines and
      their history,do you expect them to make other distinctions? I hope is ignorance
      only..
      No,I do not hate them, just happened to know some history,yes I do hope God
      will give the Pope eternal rest,he was a good servant of his Church,but...a
      Pope is a Pope. Not Christ.There is ...some difference there. Accummulation of
      crouds is ok,but...where were they on their Holy Friday?
      I don`t mean only the St.Peter square,or Jerusalem,but all their churches,all
      over the world.
      The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
      Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for more
      Orthodox there ! ! !
      See...it is easy for me to get started Hristofor,I `d better go back to
      St.Ephraim`s prayer.
      Have a good ,peaceful and spiritually edifying Lent,
      In Christ,
      Melpomeni Mari.

    • Theodora Wright
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
        I watched the service this afternoon. They were Eastern Rite Catholic doing
        the chanting and service. The Pope had requsted that he Eastern Rite have a
        part in the Mass. The Orthodox were standing to the side with others. Some
        of the new media,un imformed, did not do well explaining this and the
        Catholic telly person did no better. I sometimes think that learned people
        in trying to explain their realm of knowledge forget that those they are
        talking to don't know what they know.

        Theodora in The Mountains

        snip
        > If someone happened to watch the Pope's funeral on TV, can you please
        > advise if the chanting of /Hristos Anesti/ and the following Litija was
        > done by Greek Orthodox or by Greek Catholics? Initially, during the
        > service, WOR radio said they were Greek Catholics, but who knows. They
        > read a brief translation of the prayers, though it must have been
        > preprinted, since the initial /Hrisots Anesti/ was translated as
        > something else. At the end, the commentator said "And now the Greeks
        > will chant Memory Eternal" Of course, they sung /Hristos Anesti/ once
        again.

        > I was clenching the steering wheel so hard, I nearly pulled it out when
        > I heard the announcer say, "Oh the Greek Catholics have long felt like
        > second-class citizens in the RCC. THis is probably the first time that
        > there was some Byzantine rite in the a Latin papal funeral. And of
        > course,* the Ukrainian Catholic Church was the most persecuted church of
        > the twentieth century*; in the USSR people had to meet and pray in the
        > woods. Now, thanks to the Orange Revolution, the winds of democracy are
        > blowing through the Ukraine and the UCC is free one again." He even went
        > on to mention the destruction of the RC crosses in Lithuania and how
        > they would the believers would come again secretly and replace them.
        Grrrr!

        > On a related note, its odd that keybaords in France and elsewhere fall
        > silent when the MP takes a somewhat hardline vis-a-vis the Vatican.
        > Maybe its just me.

      • rdsieckmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
          Could you please clarify this for me:

          hristofor@... writes:

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Children International
          Would you give Hope to a Child in need?

          · Click Here to meet a Girl
          And Give Her Hope

          · Click Here to meet a Boy
          And Change His Life

          Learn More

        • Meni53@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2005
            In a message dated 4/8/2005 11:01:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            diane59@... writes:

            The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
            Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for
            more
            Orthodox there ! !

            Too complicated...it goes back a thousand something years.
            Better keep a safety distance !
            In Christ,
            Melpomeni Mari.