Greek Catholic or Greek Orthodox?

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8 6:48 AM
      If someone happened to watch the Pope's funeral on TV, can you please
      advise if the chanting of /Hristos Anesti/ and the following Litija was
      done by Greek Orthodox or by Greek Catholics? Initially, during the
      service, WOR radio said they were Greek Catholics, but who knows. They
      read a brief translation of the prayers, though it must have been
      preprinted, since the initial /Hrisots Anesti/ was translated as
      something else. At the end, the commentator said "And now the Greeks
      will chant Memory Eternal" Of course, they sung /Hristos Anesti/ once again.

      I was clenching the steering wheel so hard, I nearly pulled it out when
      I heard the announcer say, "Oh the Greek Catholics have long felt like
      second-class citizens in the RCC. THis is probably the first time that
      there was some Byzantine rite in the a Latin papal funeral. And of
      course,* the Ukrainian Catholic Church was the most persecuted church of
      the twentieth century*; in the USSR people had to meet and pray in the
      woods. Now, thanks to the Orange Revolution, the winds of democracy are
      blowing through the Ukraine and the UCC is free one again." He even went
      on to mention the destruction of the RC crosses in Lithuania and how
      they would the believers would come again secretly and replace them. Grrrr!

      On a related note, its odd that keybaords in France and elsewhere fall
      silent when the MP takes a somewhat hardline vis-a-vis the Vatican.
      Maybe its just me.

      /

      Ukrainian Orthodox confllicts deepen/
      http://www.cwnews.com/news/viewstory.cfm?recnum=36335

      (I posted the whole text from the NYT, since you need to be a subscriber.)

      In Russian Church, Still an Undercurrent of Animosity to the Vatican
      and the Pope

      *By STEVEN LEE MYERS
      <http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=STEVEN%20LEE%20MYERS&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=STEVEN%20LEE%20MYERS&inline=nyt-per>
      and ERIN E. ARVEDLUND
      <http://query.nytimes.com/search/query?ppds=bylL&v1=ERIN%20E.%20ARVEDLUND&fdq=19960101&td=sysdate&sort=newest&ac=ERIN%20E.%20ARVEDLUND&inline=nyt-per>
      *

      Published: April 7, 2005

      MOSCOW, April 6 - Last August, a delegation from the Vatican came here
      bearing an old Russian Orthodox icon that Pope John Paul II had kept in
      his private chambers for more than a decade. Already in the twilight of
      his papacy, the pope hoped the return of the icon, known as the Mother
      of God of Kazan, would at last clear the way for one of his lasting but
      unfulfilled desires: a papal visit to Russia.

      It did not. Even before the icon arrived, the leader of Russian
      Orthodoxy, Patriarch Aleksy II, dismissed the gesture and ruled out a
      visit from the pope, as he had before.

      He told President Vladimir V. Putin that "it is one of many copies," and
      not the original icon, which first appeared in the city of Kazan in 1579
      and was revered as a source of miracles before disappearing after the
      Bolshevik Revolution in 1917.

      "For that reason," he added, "there is no need for the pope himself to
      bring it."

      John Paul's death is, officially, being mourned in Russia as the passing
      of a man Mr. Putin called "an outstanding public figure whose name
      signifies the whole era." But beneath the public expressions of
      condolences runs an undercurrent of animosity and suspicion that divided
      the leaders of the world's two largest Christian churches: Roman
      Catholic and Russian Orthodox.

      Despite the widely held view that he contributed to the collapse of
      Communism and that this freed Orthodox believers in Russia from seven
      decades of state suppression, the pope never managed to achieve a
      reconciliation with the patriarch, let alone a healing of the
      millennium-long schism between Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

      On the contrary, relations only worsened after the collapse of the
      Soviet Union. As the Orthodox Church rebuilt its stolen churches and
      sought to re-establish its spiritual authority, the Vatican and its
      charismatic leader came to be seen as a threat, one aimed at undermining
      the Orthodox faith.

      Orthodox leaders have repeatedly accused the Vatican of proselytizing,
      despite Catholic assertions that the church was simply ministering to
      Russia's roughly 600,000 Catholics. Archpriest Vsevold Chaplin, a senior
      Orthodox official, said Tuesday that Catholic priests and nuns had
      persisted in seeking converts. "In order to increase the level of
      relations, we expect the Roman Catholic Church to return to the practice
      of cooperation, not competition," he said in a telephone interview.

      John Paul, who made international travel a centerpiece of his papacy,
      visited other former Soviet republics, and in November, he met with
      Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the Orthodox leader in Istanbul.

      But in Russia, where the Orthodox Church's political influence has grown
      significantly, the patriarch's opposition effectively squelched any hope
      of a visit, despite invitations from the last Soviet leader, Mikhail S.
      Gorbachev, who met him while still head of the Communist Party in 1990,
      and from Mr. Putin, who met him twice. Mr. Putin, after his last meeting
      in the Vatican in 2003, acknowledged that while he wanted to be the host
      of the first visit to Russia ever by a Roman Catholic pope, he had
      deferred to the patriarch.

      Mr. Gorbachev, in an interview on Tuesday, praised the pope, saying John
      Paul had opposed Communism but had also criticized capitalism. This, Mr.
      Gorbachev said, supported the policy of perestroika that opened Soviet
      society. At the same time, he added, the Vatican contributed to the
      tensions with Russian Orthodoxy.

      "The Catholic Church was not very delicate when it came to the Orthodox
      Church, especially in the post-Soviet period," he said.

      The low point in relations came in 2002, when the Vatican elevated the
      status of its four apostolic administrative divisions in Russia into
      traditional dioceses headed by bishops. The Russian government, at the
      urging of the Orthodox Church, expelled a number of Catholic priests and
      denied visas to others.

      The Orthodox Church is sending a delegation to the funeral on Friday,
      led by Metropolitan Kirill, the head of external relations, but Aleksy
      declined to attend. Father Vsevold said it was not normal practice for
      the patriarch to attend funerals of religious or political leaders abroad.

      Mr. Putin also opted not to attend. Russia will be represented by his
      prime minister, Mikhail Y. Fradkov.

      Even in death, John Paul has managed to inflame hostility in some
      quarters here. On Wednesday, Aleksei V. Mitrofanov, a nationalist member
      of Parliament, proposed restricting news media coverage of the pope's
      death and funeral, saying, "One cannot help but see this colossal
      propaganda campaign favors the Vatican and Catholicism." A vote on the
      proposal failed to pass.

      Anatoly A. Krasikov, the director of the Center of Social and Religious
      Studies at the Institute of Europe, said the Orthodox Church had missed
      a historic opportunity. "Nobody knows whether the next pope will be that
      insistent in offering a helping hand to the Orthodox Church," he said.
      "Personally, I think we wasted a chance when we had it to establish
      cooperation between the Christians of the world."

      Others attributed the tensions to Russian insecurities, deeply rooted in
      the country's history.

      "I am almost certain that the first Slavic pope was not allowed into the
      Russian Church's congregation for the same reason that earlier had
      driven the Communist Party to cover up Western voices: fear of
      comparison," Pyotr Romanov, a political commentator, wrote in a pointed
      essay published by the official Russian Information Agency on Monday.

      "Orthodox hierarchs could not bear the thought of the pope in a crowded
      Moscow square or, even worse, in the Christ the Savior Cathedral."

    • Meni53@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8 7:21 AM
        In a message dated 4/8/2005 9:57:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        hristofor@... writes:

[...]

        No,it`s not just you.
        To protect my sanity and spiritual welfare, I reduced the
        exposure to papal news to a minimum possible.
        They don`t really know who Roman Catholics are and /or their doctrines and
        their history,do you expect them to make other distinctions? I hope is ignorance
        only..
        No,I do not hate them, just happened to know some history,yes I do hope God
        will give the Pope eternal rest,he was a good servant of his Church,but...a
        Pope is a Pope. Not Christ.There is ...some difference there. Accummulation of
        crouds is ok,but...where were they on their Holy Friday?
        I don`t mean only the St.Peter square,or Jerusalem,but all their churches,all
        over the world.
        The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
        Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for more
        Orthodox there ! ! !
        See...it is easy for me to get started Hristofor,I `d better go back to
        St.Ephraim`s prayer.
        Have a good ,peaceful and spiritually edifying Lent,
        In Christ,
        Melpomeni Mari.

      • Fr Anastasy
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8 10:53 AM
          I happened to wake up and hear the "Christos Anesti..." I immediately got
          up to see WHO it was on the "live" broadcast. IT WAS INDEED THE ROMAN
          CATHOLIC "eastern-riters. ALSO, the MSNBC commentators said Pope John Paul
          II designated this - 1st time participation - of the eastern-riters in a
          papal funeral!

          Love in Christ,
          Anastasy the Presbyter

> [...]
          > a historic opportunity. "Nobody knows whether the next pope will be that
          > insistent in offering a helping hand to the Orthodox Church," he said.
          > "Personally, I think we wasted a chance when we had it to establish
          > cooperation between the Christians of the world."
          >
          > Others attributed the tensions to Russian insecurities, deeply rooted in
          > the country's history.
          >
          > "I am almost certain that the first Slavic pope was not allowed into the
          > Russian Church's congregation for the same reason that earlier had
          > driven the Communist Party to cover up Western voices: fear of
          > comparison," Pyotr Romanov, a political commentator, wrote in a pointed
          > essay published by the official Russian Information Agency on Monday.
          >
          > "Orthodox hierarchs could not bear the thought of the pope in a crowded
          > Moscow square or, even worse, in the Christ the Savior Cathedral."

        • Theodora Wright
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8 5:55 PM
            I watched the service this afternoon. They were Eastern Rite Catholic doing
            the chanting and service. The Pope had requsted that he Eastern Rite have a
            part in the Mass. The Orthodox were standing to the side with others. Some
            of the new media,un imformed, did not do well explaining this and the
            Catholic telly person did no better. I sometimes think that learned people
            in trying to explain their realm of knowledge forget that those they are
            talking to don't know what they know.

            Theodora in The Mountains

            snip
            > If someone happened to watch the Pope's funeral on TV, can you please
            > advise if the chanting of /Hristos Anesti/ and the following Litija was
            > done by Greek Orthodox or by Greek Catholics? Initially, during the
            > service, WOR radio said they were Greek Catholics, but who knows. They
            > read a brief translation of the prayers, though it must have been
            > preprinted, since the initial /Hrisots Anesti/ was translated as
            > something else. At the end, the commentator said "And now the Greeks
            > will chant Memory Eternal" Of course, they sung /Hristos Anesti/ once
            again.

            > I was clenching the steering wheel so hard, I nearly pulled it out when
            > I heard the announcer say, "Oh the Greek Catholics have long felt like
            > second-class citizens in the RCC. THis is probably the first time that
            > there was some Byzantine rite in the a Latin papal funeral. And of
            > course,* the Ukrainian Catholic Church was the most persecuted church of
            > the twentieth century*; in the USSR people had to meet and pray in the
            > woods. Now, thanks to the Orange Revolution, the winds of democracy are
            > blowing through the Ukraine and the UCC is free one again." He even went
            > on to mention the destruction of the RC crosses in Lithuania and how
            > they would the believers would come again secretly and replace them.
            Grrrr!

            > On a related note, its odd that keybaords in France and elsewhere fall
            > silent when the MP takes a somewhat hardline vis-a-vis the Vatican.
            > Maybe its just me.

          • rdsieckmann
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 8 8:02 PM
              Could you please clarify this for me:

              hristofor@... writes:

[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              Children International
              Would you give Hope to a Child in need?

              · Click Here to meet a Girl
              And Give Her Hope

              · Click Here to meet a Boy
              And Change His Life

              Learn More

            • Meni53@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 8 9:05 PM
                In a message dated 4/8/2005 11:01:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                diane59@... writes:

                The Patriarch of Moscow put everything into the right prespective.The
                Ecumenical Patriarch is making up for all the Orthodox ! So...no need for
                more
                Orthodox there ! !

                Too complicated...it goes back a thousand something years.
                Better keep a safety distance !
                In Christ,
                Melpomeni Mari.