Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Statement of the Clergy of the Diocese of Chicago and Detroit

  • Theodora Wright
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2005
      > My father, almost until the end, administered his tube feedings
      > himself, manually (without a machine), just as any adult would feed
      > himself. He did so directly into the stomach through a tube, instead
      > of through the tube that was his (compromised) esophagus. He died a
      > Christian death, but not of starvation.
      >
      > I submit that a "feeding tube" is not an artificial prolongation of
      > life any more than a spoon or bottle is. A machine that pumps the
      > heart and lungs when the brain cannot is much different than a simple
      > tube that facilitates consumption. Everything living needs water and
      > nutrition.

      snip

      May the Lord bless the memory of your father . Yes, he was able to do all
      of that and that is the reason for using such. It is a medical procedure
      though, and was invented to help in such cases with babies and children.
      But your father could do what you describe....most cannot when the the tube
      is used. There is a difference and this is where the problem lies. If
      everyone were like your father there would be no problem but warehousing
      with the tube is difficut for many to condone. Each case is different and
      that is often not taken into account. Perhaps we should all remember this.
      Many do not want to be warehoused. They wish a natural respose and to go on
      to finish their walk of salvation. Compassion should be upper most when
      dealing with this subject. Not all are alike in their illnesses.

      God grant all a blessed Fast and joyous Feast to come.

      Theodora in The Mountains