Re: [orthodox-synod] Protestant churches no longer dominate

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2005
      Regarding:

      > According to the same Greek commentator I heard talking about the
      > paschalia, he mentioned there is a total of 7 million (combined
      > jurisdictions) Orthodox in the US. I assume this does not include the
      > Uniates, Copts and Armenians. If correct, that would place the Orthodox
      > in fourth place, just behind the Methodists. If you were to include the
      > COULD-HAVE-BEEN/SHOULD-HAVE-BEEN Orthodox: the unbaptized sons and
      > daughters (and then their progeny) of all those who have fallen away
      > from the Faith since the Orthodox began to immigrate to the US in the
      > late XIX century, the number could have theoretically surpassed even the
      > total number of Baptists in the US. What a staggering loss!

      JRS: When I was in college (1964-1968) the figures showed that all the Orthodox in the US
      put together, equalled the number of Episcopalians at that time.

      It was also estimated back then, that there were approximately 6 times as many people of
      Orthodox background or whose parents and grandparents had been Orthodox, OUTSIDE the
      Church, than in the Church.

      In a parish in New Jersey about that time, the children who were learning "Zakon Bozhy" or
      what we would now call "Sunday school", tried a project in which they looked up all the
      names in the phone book that were clearly Russian, Greek &c., omitting those of people they
      actually knew from the parish.

      Then, the children phoned those people and asked them what church they belonged to.

      None of them said they belonged to an Orthodox church,