Re: [orthodox-synod] Protestant churches no longer dominate

  • Hristofor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5 5:17 AM
      Fr. John R. Shaw ?????:

      >"A reported surge in membership of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) has placed the
      >communion on the list of the largest American churches. The Syosset, N.Y., based church
      >grew 11.11 percent to 1-million members, according to the yearbook.
      >
      >JRS: That, of course, is by the OCA's own reckoning.
      >
      >Most of such an increase would be due to arrivals of new emigres from Eastern Europe
      >(mostly Romania) and the lands of the former Soviet Union, rather than to "church growth": it
      >would mean that a certain number of Orthodox Christians have moved from one part of the
      >world to another.

      According to the same Greek commentator I heard talking about the
      paschalia, he mentioned there is a total of 7 million (combined
      jurisdictions) Orthodox in the US. I assume this does not include the
      Uniates, Copts and Armenians. If correct, that would place the Orthodox
      in fourth place, just behind the Methodists. If you were to include the
      COULD-HAVE-BEEN/SHOULD-HAVE-BEEN Orthodox: the unbaptized sons and
      daughters (and then their progeny) of all those who have fallen away
      from the Faith since the Orthodox began to immigrate to the US in the
      late XIX century, the number could have theoretically surpassed even the
      total number of Baptists in the US. What a staggering loss! Of course it
      pales in comparison to the millions of Orthodox souls who were never
      even born in Russia, thanks to Lenin, Stalin, Hitler, abortions, and to
      a lesser extent, FDR and Churchill.

      On a lighter note, finally a great headline!
      *
      Russia Church remains defiant*
      http://www.telegraphindia.com/1050405/asp/foreign/story_4575516.asp

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5 6:04 AM
        Regarding:

        > According to the same Greek commentator I heard talking about the
        > paschalia, he mentioned there is a total of 7 million (combined
        > jurisdictions) Orthodox in the US. I assume this does not include the
        > Uniates, Copts and Armenians. If correct, that would place the Orthodox
        > in fourth place, just behind the Methodists. If you were to include the
        > COULD-HAVE-BEEN/SHOULD-HAVE-BEEN Orthodox: the unbaptized sons and
        > daughters (and then their progeny) of all those who have fallen away
        > from the Faith since the Orthodox began to immigrate to the US in the
        > late XIX century, the number could have theoretically surpassed even the
        > total number of Baptists in the US. What a staggering loss!

        JRS: When I was in college (1964-1968) the figures showed that all the Orthodox in the US
        put together, equalled the number of Episcopalians at that time.

        It was also estimated back then, that there were approximately 6 times as many people of
        Orthodox background or whose parents and grandparents had been Orthodox, OUTSIDE the
        Church, than in the Church.

        In a parish in New Jersey about that time, the children who were learning "Zakon Bozhy" or
        what we would now call "Sunday school", tried a project in which they looked up all the
        names in the phone book that were clearly Russian, Greek &c., omitting those of people they
        actually knew from the parish.

        Then, the children phoned those people and asked them what church they belonged to.

        None of them said they belonged to an Orthodox church,