Metropolitan Jerry says gay couples should be allowed to marry - VERY SAD INDEED!

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2005
      VERY SAD DAY FOR THE ORTHODOX CHURCH!

      METROPOLITAN JERRY SAYS GAY COUPLES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO MARRY

      Gays "should have the benefits and civil rights of the state. In the spirit
      of American democracy, they have the right to ask for civil marriage,''
      said the newly installed Greek Orthodox Metropolitan of San Francisco
      Gerasimos (Jerry), a private member of the gay family himself, to the San
      Francisco Chronicle.

      Visit The San Francisco Cronicle:
      http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/02/BAG2TC1OMD1.DTL

      Kalami.net reports on the issue:
      http://www.kalami.net/omogeneia/jerry_apr05.html
    • Symeon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
        byakimov@... writes:
        > Gays "should have the benefits and civil rights of the state. In the
        > spirit of American democracy, they have the right to ask for civil
        > marriage,''

        Um, I think you left out a phrase:

        "They should have the benefits and civil rights of the state, but this
        is not a sacramental union our church will ever sanctify,'' he
        said. "But civil marriage, in the spirit of American democracy, they
        have the right to ask for that.''

        /Symeon
        Monterey, Calif.
      • Maureen Girard
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Symeon <fyh@n...> wrote:
          > byakimov@c... writes:
          > > Gays "should have the benefits and civil rights of the state. In
          the
          > > spirit of American democracy, they have the right to ask for
          civil
          > > marriage,''
          >
          > Um, I think you left out a phrase:
          >
          > "They should have the benefits and civil rights of the state, but
          this
          > is not a sacramental union our church will ever sanctify,'' he
          > said. "But civil marriage, in the spirit of American democracy,
          they
          > have the right to ask for that.''>>

          The new Met. has, in reality, combined 2 concepts--civil union and
          civil marriage. A civil union is simply a legal agreement, It is
          NOT a marriage. A marriage is a totally different concept. The new
          Met is promoting civil marriage. This is downright evil.
          Maureen