[orthodox-synod] Re: Sv: Apology

  • Nikolaj
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 1999
      Dear Deacon James and the rest of you.
      Peace!

      Thank you for the apology, but no thanks for the justification of your ever continuing accusation in the next line of your letter.

      I do not understand how Orthodox clergy, who should be the first and best examples and teachers to the rest of us of how to carry on Holy Orthodox Tradition, are the first to throw Orthodoxy to the wolves of so-called "public opinion"?
      The Orthodox Church does NOT let the history of Nazism decide what is an Orthodox symbol and what is not!
      We have no tradition to let "seekers" "interpret" Holy Orthodox Tradition. We lovingly and faithfully explain to them our various signs and actions - we do not ask them what they "feel about our symbols." Learning about Orthodox Tradition is a journey into history both spiritually and culturally. A newcomer might learn the origin of many interesting phenomena, when properly taught how to listen istead of how to talk!

      We can of course not let ignorant humanistic "journalists" and "politically correct" fashion writers decide what is "appropriate" as you call it, or not.
      I can assure you that it is most inappropriate to accuse The St George's Clergy of Holy Russia to bring associations to nazism.

      Regarding "interpretations" - How about the clergy's most honourable long beards and black dresses? Now let's say that someone got frightened, because you reminded him of a muslem mullah? Would you rush home to shave and wear t-shirts during Holy Lithurgy forever after?
      So you see - it is of course not up to "public opinion" to interpret Orthodox Tradition.
      "Public opinion" does not even know vaguely what Orthodox Christianity is.
      "Public opinion" holds one thing for true today - and the opposite tomorrow. Orthodox Tradition is living, because it practised by living, spiritually striving and Christ-loving people. "Public opinion" is dead, because it is only a "philosophical concept" used to justify the "political correctness of the day" - so we cannot let the dead concept of "public opinion" judge a living spiritual organism.
      as Holy Orthodox Tradition.

      Take a look at my page, and please follow the link to Blessed Fr Justin Popovic of the Serbian Orthodox Church. He makes some really good points about "modernism"

      The Symbol of The Holy Cross of Our Lord Christ is part of Orthodox Tradition and therefore also not open to "interpretation of the public opinion" - either it is the Cross of Our saviour or it is not!
      An Orthodox Cross is always the Cross of The Lord - never a nazi-swastika.

      I hope I made my point.
      I spend 6 months and all my spare time to create this page in honour of the Imperial Martyrs of Holy Russia. I am stunned to find that people doesn't even care to find out what the page is about, before they put me on the "Wiesenthal list" ?
      Due to their own lack of knowledge.
      If you had cared to investigate my page, you would of course have found that I am Russian Orthodox Christian and not a god-less nazi!

      May God bless your day.
      In Christ
      Nikolaj