Re: [orthodox-synod] Reckoning of Pascha/More calendar woes

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
      Hristofor wrote:

      > One thing which did raise my eyebrows was the mention of a "new world
      > calendar" where everyday would be fixed (i.e 1 Jan would always be on a
      > Monday). I consider myself to be well read,but this is the first that I
      > have heard of it. No mention of how they would work out the leap year
      > issue. Of course the Western Christian "sheeple" will accept it without
      > a peep, while every other religion will keep their traditional calendars
      > and reckoning; it will be a miracle if the Orthodox don't splinter some
      > more.

      JRS: I don't think such a plan would work. The French revolution tried to introduce a
      completely new calendar, but it simply did not gain acceptance. The Bolsheviks tried the
      same thing.

      For Jan. 1 always to be a Monday, either certain days of the week would have to be
      suppressed, or else the number of days in the year would have to be altered: December
      would have to be adjusted, or else a certain number of "limbo days" inserted. That would
      disrupt the solstices as well.

      What I have seen in current calendars is a continuous numbering of days, in which Jan. 1 is
      the first day of the year, and Dec. 31 is the 365th or 366th day.

      But that is not practical for everyday use: people are not going to say, "Come to dinner on the
      217th"!