Reckoning of Pascha/More calendar woes

  • Hristofor/ХристофорЪ
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
      This site offers a good explanation of the history for fixing the date
      of Easter (RC) and Pascha (Orthodox) and is a good reference to have
      when you are attempting to explain for the umpteenth time to your
      heterodox neighbor why we are celebrating Pascha on a different day.
      http://www.juiceenewsdaily.com/0305/news/easter_date.html The only thing
      which unfortunately the article doesn't explain properly is fact that
      Passover already needs to have been celebrated before we celebrate Pascha.

      One thing which did raise my eyebrows was the mention of a "new world
      calendar" where everyday would be fixed (i.e 1 Jan would always be on a
      Monday). I consider myself to be well read,but this is the first that I
      have heard of it. No mention of how they would work out the leap year
      issue. Of course the Western Christian "sheeple" will accept it without
      a peep, while every other religion will keep their traditional calendars
      and reckoning; it will be a miracle if the Orthodox don't splinter some
      more.

      Happy Maslenistsa and a blessed Fast to one an all!

      Hristofor
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 9, 2005
        Hristofor wrote:

        > One thing which did raise my eyebrows was the mention of a "new world
        > calendar" where everyday would be fixed (i.e 1 Jan would always be on a
        > Monday). I consider myself to be well read,but this is the first that I
        > have heard of it. No mention of how they would work out the leap year
        > issue. Of course the Western Christian "sheeple" will accept it without
        > a peep, while every other religion will keep their traditional calendars
        > and reckoning; it will be a miracle if the Orthodox don't splinter some
        > more.

        JRS: I don't think such a plan would work. The French revolution tried to introduce a
        completely new calendar, but it simply did not gain acceptance. The Bolsheviks tried the
        same thing.

        For Jan. 1 always to be a Monday, either certain days of the week would have to be
        suppressed, or else the number of days in the year would have to be altered: December
        would have to be adjusted, or else a certain number of "limbo days" inserted. That would
        disrupt the solstices as well.

        What I have seen in current calendars is a continuous numbering of days, in which Jan. 1 is
        the first day of the year, and Dec. 31 is the 365th or 366th day.

        But that is not practical for everyday use: people are not going to say, "Come to dinner on the
        217th"!