PROPERTY DISPUTES HOLD BACK ORTHODOX CHURCH REUNION

  • kato_ny
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6 12:15 AM
      the old record keeps skipping... and our church leaders who wish to
      flock together, keep tripping on their feet... and what will they
      think of next? "oh, this is not an issue, who really cares afterall
      what Alexi #2 has stated...

      PROPERTY DISPUTES HOLD BACK ORTHODOX CHURCH REUNION

      MOSCOW, March 2 (RIA Novosti) - Last Monday, the relics of Grand
      Duchess Elizabeth and her associate Barbara, a nun, were brought
      back to the Convent of St. Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem after a six-
      month-long tour of Russia. The convent belongs to the Russian
      Orthodox Church Outside of Russia (ROCOR), Novye Izvestia reports.

      A delegation of the Moscow Patriarchy left for Paris the next day
      for the fourth meeting of the commission on dialogue with the
      ROCOR. "ROCOR structures located on the Russian Orthodox Church's
      canonical territory" will be a central issue at the meeting. In
      addition, those attending the meeting are expected to define the
      term "canonical territory."

      Five days after Israel was established, the Soviet Union's People's
      Commissariat of Internal Affairs (NKVD) appointed an envoy for
      Russian property in Israel. Later, the Soviet government sent Moscow
      Patriarchy representatives to Jerusalem and claimed ownership over
      all monasteries, convents, churches, and relics. ROCOR monks were
      simply deported from the country.

      In 1997, the Palestinian authorities forced ROCOR monks and nuns to
      leave the St. Trinity Monastery in Hebron and handed the monastery
      over to the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC). In January 2000, the
      Palestinian military arrested monks in the ROCOR church in Jericho,
      and the church was immediately transferred to the Moscow Patriarchy.

      When meeting with the new Palestinian leader, Mahmoud Abbas, the
      other day, Alexiy II, the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia,
      thanked the Palestinian authorities for transferring the ownership
      of the Hebron and Jericho property in question to the ROC's Russian
      Orthodox Mission.

      "I am very disappointed [by the patriarch's statement]," said
      Archbishop Mark of Berlin and Germany. "When we were launching the
      process we made a statement that we must refrain from any activities
      and pronouncements that could upset the other party," he said.

      However, the archbishop has not always followed his own advice. He
      has criticized the Russian Orthodox Church for many years and once
      he went as far as described it as "non-gracious."