Prayers Please for the Repose...

  • Vera/ Bepa (Russian spelling)
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2005
      Dearest To Christ,

      Beseeching Prayers please for my Krestnee Papa [Godfather] Subdeacon
      Alexander Lochmatow who reposed from what I heard "during the
      night". I am uncertain if it was Wednesday night or the beginning
      hours of Today. I am hoping to hear the exact day so that I may know
      when the fortieth day falls, should anyone have that information
      please kindly respond... it would be greatly appreciated.

      With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Thy servant,
      where there is neither sickness, nor sorrow, nor sighing, but life
      eternal.

      Vechnaya Pamyat+ [Memory Eternal]

      Love In Christ,
      Vera

      Concerning Prayer for the Departed (adapted from the Pomianik)

      Death separates us only bodily from our loved ones, not spiritually.

      Because of this and the immutable bonds of faith and love, Orthodox
      Christians pray fervently for the departed, especially on the third,
      ninth and fortieth days after death, and at other appointed times.

      We pray for the departed on the third day, for the sake of Christ's
      third-day Resurrection.

      According to St. Macarius the Great, from the third to the ninth
      day, after worshipping God, the soul is shown the abodes of
      Paradise, and is in sorrow for having deprived itself of this
      blessedness by sin; therefore, on the ninth day, as the soul is
      brought to judgment, it is fitting for us to pray for it.

      From the ninth to the fortieth day the soul is shown the torments of
      Hell, and is terrified that such a fate might befall it; on the
      fortieth day the soul appears for the last time before the Lord, Who
      assigns it to a place of repose until the day of His second coming.
      As Christ ascended forty days after His Resurrection, likewise the
      soul is assigned its place.

      The fortieth day after death is considered to be the most important
      day of commemoration.

      "When you pray for the repose of the soul of the departed, force
      yourself to pray with your whole heart, remembering that to do so is
      your essential duty, and not only that of a priest or ecclesiastic.
      Represent to yourself how necessary repose is to the departed one,
      and how greatly he (or she) needs the prayers for him (or her) of
      the living, being a member of the one body of the Church; how the
      demons are contesting his (or her) soul from the angels, and how it
      trembles, not knowing what its eternal destiny will be. Our prayers
      of faith and love for the departed means much in the Lord's sight.
      Represent to yourself, further, how necessary rest is for you when
      you are bound by the fetters of sin, and how fervently, with what
      sincerity, ardor, and power you then pray to the Lord and the Most
      Pure Mother of the Lord, and how you rejoice and triumph when, after
      your fervent prayer, you obtain the remission of your sins and peace
      of heart. Apply all this to the soul of the departed. His (or her)
      soul also needs prayer-your prayer now-because it cannot pray
      fruitfully any longer itself; the soul of the departed also requires
      the rest which you can implore for it by means of your ardent
      prayer, joined to works of charity for the benefit of that soul, and
      especially by the offering of the Bloodless Sacrifice on its
      behalf." St. John of Kronstadt "My Life In Christ"
    • Victor and Elena Lochmatow
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 21, 2005
        Alexander Lochmatow reposed on the Feast of the Presentation Of the Lord,
        one day after Confession, Communion and Holy Unction. A Christian ending,
        such as we pray for! His funeral took place on the 17th of February.
        d.Victor Lochmatow, brother.

      • Vera/ Bepa (Russian spelling)
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2005
          Dearest To Christ fr. deacon Victor,

          Vechnaya Pamyat+

          A heartfelt thank you for your reply... if I may please know was he
          buried next to your parents or where he lived?

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Victor and Elena Lochmatow
          <lochmven@n...> wrote:
> [...]
          > >you are bound by the fetters of sin, and how fervently, with what
          > >sincerity, ardor, and power you then pray to the Lord and the Most
          > >Pure Mother of the Lord, and how you rejoice and triumph when,
          after
          > >your fervent prayer, you obtain the remission of your sins and
          peace
          > >of heart. Apply all this to the soul of the departed. His (or her)
          > >soul also needs prayer-your prayer now-because it cannot pray
          > >fruitfully any longer itself; the soul of the departed also
          requires
          > >the rest which you can implore for it by means of your ardent
          > >prayer, joined to works of charity for the benefit of that soul,
          and
          > >especially by the offering of the Bloodless Sacrifice on its
          > >behalf." St. John of Kronstadt "My Life In Christ"

        • Vera/ Bepa (Russian spelling)
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 25, 2005
            Dear All,

            Beseeching Prayers please for my Krestnee Papa [Godfather] Subdeacon
            Alexander Lochmatow who reposed on the Meeting of our Lord and Savior
            2/15 Feb. 2005.

            Tomorrow 13/26 March [Saturday] on the Commemoration of the dead
            will be his 40th day of repose.....[" the soul appears for the last
            time before the Lord, Who assigns it to a place of repose until the
            day of His second coming"]. Please remember him in your prayers on
            this most important day...a heartfelt thank you!

[...]

            From the ninth to the fortieth day the soul is shown the torments of