Re: [orthodox-synod] Thank God looks like this nightmare is over

  • frvboldewskul@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 2 9:13 PM
      Dear Mr. T.
      First, get a good night sleep.
      Regardless of your opinion of Patriarch Alexei, it is Vladyka Mark, and
      Vladyka Vitaly. Or Archbishop Mark and Metropolitan Vitaly. Church etiquette 101.
      As for a a reconciliation between those who abuse Vladyka Metropolitan
      Vitaly's name, it is for them to reconcile with the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.
      The First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad, Metropolitan Laurus, noted
      in an interview last year that the door is open to them.

      What is clear to all, the Russian Church Abroad has never, and will never,
      compromise our freedom nor compromise the interests of the Russian Church. Thus,
      should an ecclesiastical problem arise after reconciliation, our freedom and
      voice will be heard loud and clear. Let no one doubt that!

      Since dialog, now our protests actually mean something, and carry a greater
      weight of authority. Glory to God!

      Priest Victor Boldewskul
      In a message dated 2/2/05 8:48:21 PM Pacific Standard Time, gene703@...
      writes:

      > http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesru/novosti2005/markprotest.html
      >
      > Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation nightmare
      > is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville and asked for
      > forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now. There is nothing wrong with having
      > two Metropolitans, one acting one retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and
      > reconciles with Synod there will be no need to mention this horrible episode
      > ever again. Please pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.
      >
      > Gene T

    • Nicholas Steblez
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 2 9:21 PM
        A big Amen! to that (more or less). Oh for the joyous day when this whole nightmare truly is behind us. How fortunate that Alexy II couldn't take the pressure of putting on the brotherhood act any longer and showed his true colors. I'm so happy I won't even mention once that "we told you so." Golly, I might actually sleep well tonight.

        Nicholas

        gene703 <gene703@...> wrote:

        http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesru/novosti2005/markprotest.html

        Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation nightmare is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville and asked for forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now. There is nothing wrong with having two Metropolitans, one acting one retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and reconciles with Synod there will be no need to mention this horrible episode ever again. Please pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.

        Gene T

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Children InternationalWould you give Hope to a Child in need? �Click Here to meet a Girl
        And Give Her Hope�Click Here to meet a Boy
        And Change His Life Learn More

      • Alex Cvejkus
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 2 9:32 PM
          Bless Father!

          Upon reading your post, a huge smile smile spread across my face. Thank you for having the courage to speak the truth! I could not possibly think of a better way to say what you said. Slava Bogy, but it is good to hear the truth!
          Alexandr

          writes:

          > http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesru/novosti2005/markprotest.html
          >
          > Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation nightmare
          > is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville and asked for
          > forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now. There is nothing wrong with having
          > two Metropolitans, one acting one retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and
          > reconciles with Synod there will be no need to mention this horrible episode
          > ever again. Please pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.
          >
          > Gene T

        • gene703
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 3 6:18 AM
            Dear father Victor,

            1. Please forgive me for not using proper titles
            2. The door is open .... it's up to them .... This doesn't sound too Christian to me, sounds more like a lawyer negotiating corporate merger, think love, forgivenes, ask what would Jesus do ? Why not show Moscow how true Orthodox Christian behave, here and now.

            Respectfully Yours
            Mr. T

            writes:

            > http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesru/novosti2005/markprotest.html
            >
            > Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation nightmare
            > is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville and asked for
            > forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now. There is nothing wrong with having
            > two Metropolitans, one acting one retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and
            > reconciles with Synod there will be no need to mention this horrible episode
            > ever again. Please pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.
            >
            > Gene T

          • aprmih
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 3 6:27 AM
              http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/troll.html

              --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, gene703 <gene703@y...> wrote:

              http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/01newstucture/pagesru/novosti2005
              /markprotest.html

              > Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation
              nightmare is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville
              and asked for forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now.
              There is nothing wrong with having two Metropolitans, one acting one
              retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and reconciles with Synod there
              will be no need to mention this horrible episode ever again. Please
              pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.

              > Gene T

            • Theodora Wright
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 3 7:54 AM
                Why this site? Are you saying that the post you are replying to is a troll?
                Or that you are a troll?

                Theodora in The Mountains

                  Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation nightmare

                  >>is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville and asked for
                  >>forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now. There is nothing wrong with having
                  >>two Metropolitans, one acting one retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and
                  >>reconciles with Synod there will be no need to mention this horrible episode
                  >>ever again. Please pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.
                  >>
                  >>Gene T

                  I think you're in the wrong nightmare. The real nightmare is the fact
                  that the Russian Orthodox Church is divided into ROCOR-MP-Paris
                  Exarchate, with various schisms and other divisions, Montreal, Suzdal,
                  Denisenko to name but a few. If those flavours aren't enough, we have
                  other Orthodox jurisdictions such as both new and old calendar Greeks
                  also trying to get in on the act. This of course is only the Orthodox.
                  There are Roman Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Mormons, Jehovahs
                  Witness et al also invading.

                  Yesterday I was looking for a zhitija on the net and I stumbled on a
                  site (http://svd.org.ru/start/index.php) which at first appeared to be
                  Baptist (judging by the logo), but I realized that it was RC. If you are
                  not Orthodox, you may not even realize that you are on an non-Orthodox
                  site. The first article was about a "Catechism College" in Baranovichi,
                  Belarus, where classes are conducted/* in Russian*/. Belarus has a
                  substantial RC population, which is made up mostly of ethnic Poles and
                  some Belorussians. One would think that this College would be conducting
                  classes in Polish or possibly Belorussian , but since Poles are already
                  Catholic and are not in need of R/C catechism, whom better to
                  proselityze among than Russians? I was then shocked to click on the
                  Moscow link and see that the RC church in Moscow is named St Olga. Of
                  all the RC saints they could have chosen, they had to pick a Russian
                  saint? How sneaky and perfidious. Why didn't they name their church
                  after one of their "martyrs," whom they believe to have been "martyred"
                  by the Orthodox? Or were they afraid that the Orthodox of Moscow would
                  run them out of the city?

                  Everyone who thinks that they have the "real and untarnished" Orthodoxy
                  need to get their heads out of the sand and face the reality and
                  seriousness of the situation as it is today in Russia.

                  Hristofor

                • gene703
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 3 8:36 AM
                    Dear Hristofor,

                    I could not agree with you more but in striving for Orthodox unitiy we got to start somewhere. Getting our own (ROCOR) house in order seems like a good idea to me. Last couple of years a lot of un-Christian things were done by all sides. It seems to me that now is a very opportune time to come together and show the world some Christian behaviour for a change. Leadership can only be set by personal example.

                    Your's in Christ
                    Gene T

                    Hristofor <hristofor@...> wrote:
                    Alexei misspoke, Mark saw the light. The MP/ROCOR reconciliation nightmare

                    >>is over. It's high time entire Synod went to Mansonville and asked for
                    >>forgivness on their knees. Bring Vitaly back now. There is nothing wrong with having
                    >>two Metropolitans, one acting one retired "na pokoe". If he forgives and
                    >>reconciles with Synod there will be no need to mention this horrible episode
                    >>ever again. Please pray with me for speedy ROCOR(L) ROCOR(V) reconciliation.
                    >>
                    >>Gene T

                    I think you're in the wrong nightmare. The real nightmare is the fact
                    that the Russian Orthodox Church is divided into ROCOR-MP-Paris
                    Exarchate, with various schisms and other divisions, Montreal, Suzdal,
                    Denisenko to name but a few. If those flavours aren't enough, we have
                    other Orthodox jurisdictions such as both new and old calendar Greeks
                    also trying to get in on the act. This of course is only the Orthodox.
                    There are Roman Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Mormons, Jehovahs
                    Witness et al also invading.

                    Yesterday I was looking for a zhitija on the net and I stumbled on a
                    site (http://svd.org.ru/start/index.php) which at first appeared to be
                    Baptist (judging by the logo), but I realized that it was RC. If you are
                    not Orthodox, you may not even realize that you are on an non-Orthodox
                    site. The first article was about a "Catechism College" in Baranovichi,
                    Belarus, where classes are conducted/* in Russian*/. Belarus has a
                    substantial RC population, which is made up mostly of ethnic Poles and
                    some Belorussians. One would think that this College would be conducting
                    classes in Polish or possibly Belorussian , but since Poles are already
                    Catholic and are not in need of R/C catechism, whom better to
                    proselityze among than Russians? I was then shocked to click on the
                    Moscow link and see that the RC church in Moscow is named St Olga. Of
                    all the RC saints they could have chosen, they had to pick a Russian
                    saint? How sneaky and perfidious. Why didn't they name their church
                    after one of their "martyrs," whom they believe to have been "martyred"
                    by the Orthodox? Or were they afraid that the Orthodox of Moscow would
                    run them out of the city?

                    Everyone who thinks that they have the "real and untarnished" Orthodoxy
                    need to get their heads out of the sand and face the reality and
                    seriousness of the situation as it is today in Russia.

                    Hristofor

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                    Children InternationalWould you give Hope to a Child in need? �Click Here to meet a Girl
                    And Give Her Hope�Click Here to meet a Boy
                    And Change His Life Learn More

                  • Ray Gadke
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 3 10:11 AM
                      The SVDs are a Roman Catholic missionary order - the Society of the
                      Divine Word - that was founded in Germany and later relocated in the
                      Netherlands during the Kulturkampf, but remaining primarily a German
                      order. The SVDs had missionaries in the pre-World War I German
                      colonies in Africa and New Guinea and in the former Netherlands
                      East Indies - now Indonesia, as well as in India and China. They
                      have a large American foundation in Techny, northwest of Chicago.

                      The two gentlemen pictured in the SVD website are Pater Arnold Janssen,
                      the founder of the order, and Pater Joseph Freinademetz, a SVD missionary
                      in China who was martyred. Both were recently beatified by the pope. It
                      appears that Paters Janssen and Freinademetz are being invoked as
                      patrons and protectors of the work of the Society of the Divine Word
                      in the Slavic lands - part of the German Roman Catholic "Drang nach Osten."

                      Ray Gadke

                      >Yesterday I was looking for a zhitija on the net and I stumbled on a
                      >site (http://svd.org.ru/start/index.php) which at first appeared to be
                      >Baptist (judging by the logo), but I realized that it was RC. If you are
                      >not Orthodox, you may not even realize that you are on an non-Orthodox
                      >site. The first article was about a "Catechism College" in Baranovichi,
                      >Belarus, where classes are conducted/* in Russian*/. Belarus has a
                      >substantial RC population, which is made up mostly of ethnic Poles and
                      >some Belorussians. One would think that this College would be conducting
                      >classes in Polish or possibly Belorussian , but since Poles are already
                      >Catholic and are not in need of R/C catechism, whom better to
                      >proselityze among than Russians? I was then shocked to click on the
                      >Moscow link and see that the RC church in Moscow is named St Olga. Of
                      >all the RC saints they could have chosen, they had to pick a Russian
                      >saint? How sneaky and perfidious. Why didn't they name their church
                      >after one of their "martyrs," whom they believe to have been "martyred"
                      >by the Orthodox? Or were they afraid that the Orthodox of Moscow would
                      >run them out of the city?
                      >
                      >Everyone who thinks that they have the "real and untarnished" Orthodoxy
                      >need to get their heads out of the sand and face the reality and
                      >seriousness of the situation as it is today in Russia.
                      >
                      >Hristofor

                    • David Constantine Wright
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 3 10:25 AM
                        --- Hristofor <hristofor@...> wrote:

                        > that the Russian Orthodox Church is divided into ...
                        > Denisenko to name but a few. If those flavours aren't

                        FYI that Church is Ukrainian, not Russian.

                        In Christ,
                        Rd. Constantine

                        =====
                        |===========================================|
                        | Reader David Constantine Wright |
                        | --- http://constans_wright.tripod.com |
                        | Traditional Orthodox Christian |
                        | --- http://www.new-ostrog.org/paper1.html |
                        |===========================================|

                        http://my.yahoo.com
                      • Nicholas Steblez
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 3 11:49 AM
                          My dear brother in Christ Hristofor,

                          Christ is in our midst!

                          While I've been somewhat uneasy about the whole situation regarding the ROCOR and MP, I've tried to tow and even line. However, as time has passed, I have come to view the matter more and more as possibly being a terrific mistake on the part of ROCOR. More and more, it seems to me that the sheep�s clothing has been slipping off and exposing the wolf underneath. To be sure, what you write below is a serious problem, but I'm afraid that the MP is quite possibly just as great a threat as the other groups you've mentioned. Is the MP doing its best to protect its turf from these interlopers? Of course, but that doesn't mean that the MP is not as great or even a greater danger then these others.

                          Your brother in Christ

                          The unworthy servant of God,

                          Nicholas

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 3 1:14 PM
                            In a message dated 2/3/2005 2:59:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            crocodile1953@... weeps bitter crocodile tears:

[...]

                            Dear Hristofor! Lord have mercy! Who issued you a blagodarometer?

                            Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you!
                            I have more than a passing familiarity with Belarus, having worked in the
                            area for quite some time and also having been on one of the first American
                            missions to Belarus as an independent country. Frankly, offering classes in
                            Russian isn't surprising at all, since the vast majority of the urban population
                            does not speak Belarusian. Even the President of the country (!in his own
                            words!) is uncomfortable with Belarusian, which is only now coming into its
                            own as a literary language, despite the politically correct tripe ones hears
                            about that. And you are right! There are a lot of Roman Catholics in that
                            country. Matter of fact, it's probably the majority of the population. You
                            seem to forget that the northern Unia (Brest) took place there, even before the
                            southern one. Folks get thrown off by the morpheme Rus. It has nothing to
                            do with Russian. Belarus has more ethnic affinity with the Polish-Lithuanian
                            Commonwealth than with Russia per se; both countries even have mirror image
                            crests, the Vitas of the very Roman Catholic Knights Orders of a millenium in
                            the past.

                            And Baranovchi? As recently as 1917, this relatively new town (founded
                            1870) was almost 100% Jewish. A Pale of Settlement creation, functioning as a
                            railroad hub. Hardly a bastion of Orthodoxy to begin with, although there was
                            one! Orthodox Church, a build-out of the chapel authorized by the Roman
                            Catholic count who owned the forest so that the Russian railroad officials would
                            have a place to pray. It was only those Godless Commies who changed the
                            nature of the town.

                            A far as the grandma of my patron saint is concerned, there are a lot of
                            Ukrainians -- and a lot of Roman Catholics -- who would dispute the appelation
                            of her being Russian. The Viking princess Helga unwittingly started a long
                            tradition of Germanic-blooded royalty, a tradition maintained until at least
                            1917! This is not a troll. The name Olga is almost as common in Roman
                            Catholic circles as in Russian ones.

                            Keep smiling Hristofor. And as Helga might have said "Erstens kommt es
                            anders, zweitens als man denkt!"

                            In-Christ
                            Vladimir (Werner) Saemmler-Hindrichs
                            Middleburg, Virginia

                          • frvboldewskul@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 3 6:44 PM
                              In a message dated 2/3/05 3:41:34 PM Pacific Standard Time, gene703@...
                              writes:

                              > 2. The door is open .... it's up to them .... This doesn't sound too
                              > Christian to me, sounds more like a lawyer negotiating corporate merger, think
                              > love, forgivenes, ask what would Jesus do ? Why not show Moscow how true Orthodox
                              > Christian behave, here and now.

                              Dear Mr T.,
                              Should anyone, regardless of the damage they caused the Church, regardless of
                              the hatred and slander they threw at the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad,
                              should they repent and reconcile themselves to the Orthodox Church, yes, the door
                              is open to them. That is love in the fulness sense. They, that is those under
                              the so-called Mansonville schism, who cut themselves off of the Orthodox
                              Church and in the process, of our Lord's Grace, can still return to the Church's
                              Grace through repentance. That is love.

                              Priest Victor Boldewskul

                            • Nicholas Steblez
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 3 7:43 PM
                                My dear brother in Christ Vladimir (Werner) Saemmler-Hindrichs,

                                Christ is in our midst!
                                I'm afraid you've made a bit of a mistake. I crocodile1953@... am not Hristofor. I am, rather Nicholas Steblez. I think yhour mistake is that you've selected Hristofor's post out of mine where I had included it for reference.

                                Your brother in Christ,
                                The unworthy serevant of God
                                Nicholas Steblez

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 3 7:48 PM

                                  I'm afraid you've made a bit of a mistake. I, crocodile1953@..., am not Hristofor and that was not my post. I am, rather Nicholas Steblez. I think your mistake is that you've selected Hristofor's post out of mine where I had included it for reference.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 3 10:12 PM
                                    In a message dated 2/3/2005 10:49:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                    crocodile1953@... writes:

                                    My dear brother in Christ Vladimir (Werner) Saemmler-Hindrichs,

                                    Christ is in our midst!
                                    I'm afraid you've made a bit of a mistake. I crocodile1953@... am not
                                    Hristofor. I am, rather Nicholas Steblez. I think yhour mistake is that
                                    you've selected Hristofor's post out of mine where I had included it for reference.

                                    Your brother in Christ,
                                    The unworthy serevant of God
                                    Nicholas Steblez

                                    My dear in-Christ Nicholas!

                                    My most profuse apologies for not having done this properly. Begging your
                                    forgiveness,

                                    Vladimir Hindrichs
                                    who also tries and is frequently wanting

                                  • gene703
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Feb 4 7:07 AM
                                      Dear father Victor,

                                      In all fairness I think BOTH sides did lots of damage to OUR church. Please don't be so child like "the door is open, let'em come first and say they are sorry then we'll play with them again" How about displaying some generocity of spirit, do I have have to remind you, a priest, about the other cheek, for Christ sake ? There is a 94 years old, infirm man surrounded by people with their own agenda in Mansonville. Shouldn't we take the first step. Offer whatever accomodation that must be made to Rosninaskaya, the "bishops" ? Where there is a will there is the way, as they say.

                                      Your in Christ
                                      Gene T

                                      writes:

                                      > 2. The door is open .... it's up to them .... This doesn't sound too
                                      > Christian to me, sounds more like a lawyer negotiating corporate merger, think
                                      > love, forgivenes, ask what would Jesus do ? Why not show Moscow how true Orthodox
                                      > Christian behave, here and now.

                                      Dear Mr T.,
                                      Should anyone, regardless of the damage they caused the Church, regardless of
                                      the hatred and slander they threw at the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad,
                                      should they repent and reconcile themselves to the Orthodox Church, yes, the door
                                      is open to them. That is love in the fulness sense. They, that is those under
                                      the so-called Mansonville schism, who cut themselves off of the Orthodox
                                      Church and in the process, of our Lord's Grace, can still return to the Church's
                                      Grace through repentance. That is love.

                                      Priest Victor Boldewskul

                                      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
                                      Children InternationalWould you give Hope to a Child in need? �Click Here to meet a Girl
                                      And Give Her Hope�Click Here to meet a Boy
                                      And Change His Life Learn More

                                    • Fr. Alexis Duncan
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Feb 4 5:41 PM
                                        Actually, many overtures have been made to the Mansonville
                                        people. Clergy as well as bishops have repeatedly attempted
                                        to visit Vladika Vitaly only to be turned away. There
                                        certainly is the will but unfortunately those surrounding
                                        Vladika Vitaly have not made it possible to find the way. I
                                        admire much of what they stand for, but I know for a fact
                                        that our clergy have been turned away and even had the
                                        police called when they tried to visit. However, we indeed
                                        must keep trying, hoping that eventually we can somehow
                                        repair the damage and again be one with them.

                                        Fr. Alexis Duncan
                                        Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church
                                        Atlanta, GA
                                        www.orthodoxinfo.biz

                                        Dear father Victor,

                                        In all fairness I think BOTH sides did lots of damage to OUR
                                        church. Please don't be so child like "the door is open,
                                        let'em come first and say they are sorry then we'll play
                                        with them again" How about displaying some generocity of
                                        spirit, do I have have to remind you, a priest, about the
                                        other cheek, for Christ sake ? There is a 94 years old,
                                        infirm man surrounded by people with their own agenda in
                                        Mansonville. Shouldn't we take the first step. Offer
                                        whatever accomodation that must be made to Rosninaskaya, the
                                        "bishops" ? Where there is a will there is the way, as they
                                        say.

                                        Your in Christ
                                        Gene T
                                      • Alexander A. Benzemann

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Feb 5 9:29 AM
                                            Tsk, tsk, tsk. That isn't true. Vladika was in Montreal for
                                            the anniversary of the cathedral there. There is enough sad
                                            news without having to make up more.

                                            Fr. Alexis Duncan
                                            Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church
                                            Atlanta, GA
                                            www.orthodoxinfo.biz

                                            bishop Gabriel went to Montreal to testify in court in the
                                            law suits fighting Metropolite Vitaly and then tried to
                                            visit the Metropolite in Mansonville. Why should Metropolite
                                            agree to see him ??? to bless the law suits against him ???
                                            Really....
                                          • larry most
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Feb 5 5:42 PM
                                              GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
                                              DEar Theodora,
                                              Here is news that you don't really need, but "Trolls"
                                              are those folks that live in the lower penninsula of
                                              Michigan (They live "below the bridge"), while
                                              "Yoopers" live in the upper penninsula (above the
                                              bridge). Now aren't you glad that I took up your time
                                              with that knowledge.
                                              Love in Christ,
                                              Sub-deacon Lawrence
                                              --- Theodora Wright <theomtn@...> wrote:

                                              > Why this site? Are you saying that the post you are
                                              > replying to is a troll?
                                              > Or that you are a troll?
                                              >
                                              > Theodora in The Mountains

                                              http://us.click.yahoo.com/O2aXmA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/m.VolB/TM

                                              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                                            • vkozyreff
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 6 11:50 PM
                                                Dear Father Alexis, bless.

                                                I do not understand this discussion.

                                                It is open knowledge that the Synod is suing Vl Vitaly, under the
                                                administrative leadership of Vl Gavriil. Whether or not Vl Gavriil
                                                went to Montreal this time for an anniversary is irrelevant

                                                Some time ago, a visit to Mansonville by a delegation from the Synod
                                                headed by Vl Michael ended up in a regrettable fashion. The lack of
                                                trust for visits from the Synod to Mansonville is understandable.

                                                As regards the last attempt by Vl Gavriil to see Vl Vitaly, nobody
                                                disputes the fact that Vl Gavriil did not even contact Vl Vitaly in
                                                advance to announce his coming to visit him.

                                                I am told that Vl Gavriil was suggested to call Vl Vitaly from a
                                                nearby public telephone so the latter could decide whether or not he
                                                was ready to receive his visitors. Instead, the party took pictures
                                                and went away.

                                                In God,

                                                Vladimir Kozyreff

                                                --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Alexis Duncan"
                                                <7848@a...> wrote:
                                                > Tsk, tsk, tsk. That isn't true. Vladika was in Montreal for
                                                > the anniversary of the cathedral there. There is enough sad
                                                > news without having to make up more.

                                                > Fr. Alexis Duncan
                                                > Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church
                                                > Atlanta, GA
                                                > www.orthodoxinfo.biz
                                                >

                                                > bishop Gabriel went to Montreal to testify in court in the
                                                > law suits fighting Metropolite Vitaly and then tried to
                                                > visit the Metropolite in Mansonville. Why should Metropolite
                                                > agree to see him ??? to bless the law suits against him ???
                                                > Really....
                                              • Hristofor
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 8 9:04 AM
                                                  Replies to 3 different posts:

                                                  >FYI that Church is Ukrainian, not Russian.
                                                  >In Christ,
                                                  >Rd. Constantine

                                                  That's debatable, I suppose. The defrocked Met Philaret *was* in the
                                                  Moscow Patriarchate to begin with prior to forming his own "church".

                                                  gene703 �����:

                                                  >I could not agree with you more but in striving for Orthodox unitiy we got to start somewhere. Getting our own (ROCOR) house in order seems like a good idea to me. Last couple of years a lot of un-Christian things were done by all sides. It seems to me that now is a very opportune time to come together and show the world some Christian behaviour for a change. Leadership can only be set by personal example.

                                                  And where to we start? Do we start with the Evlogians, then the
                                                  Metropolia, and then the French? Or do we work backwards
                                                  majority of Russians both in the diaspora or in Russia are members of
                                                  the ROCA and the MP, that seems to be the most logical. I know someone
                                                  who pleaded with then Vl Varnava not to leave--at least wait until some
                                                  form of unity did occur (which it still hasn't). Of course he refused.
                                                  Was that not not like others who have left before in the 80s, saying
                                                  that they did not like "the course ROCA was taking"?

                                                  antiquariu@... �����:

                                                  >Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get you!

                                                  Hardly would consider myself paranoid. If you believe that the Catechism
                                                  College in Baranovichi operates solely to minister to the Catholics of
                                                  Belarus you are certainly entitled to your own opinion, but I
                                                  respectfully disagree.

                                                  > Frankly, offering classes in Russian isn't surprising at all, since the vast majority of the urban population
                                                  >does not speak Belarusian. <..> And you are right! There are a lot of Roman Catholics in that
                                                  >country. Matter of fact, it's probably the majority of the population. You
                                                  >seem to forget that the northern Unia (Brest) took place there, even before the
                                                  >southern one. Folks get thrown off by the morpheme Rus. It has nothing to
                                                  >do with Russian. Belarus has more ethnic affinity with the Polish-Lithuanian
                                                  >Commonwealth than with Russia per se; both countries even have mirror image
                                                  >crests, the Vitas of the very Roman Catholic Knights Orders of a millenium in
                                                  >the past.

                                                  I have been to Belarus many, many times. I have more (known) relatives there than in Russia or the US. Although my grandfather was born there, he considered himself to be Russian. And yes, I agree, there are a lot of Catholics and it is only by the Grace of God that my ancestors either remained Orthodox or converted to Orthodoxy. I have met Catholics from Belarus, but they all considered themselves to be ethnic Poles.

                                                  >A far as the grandma of my patron saint is concerned, there are a lot of
                                                  >Ukrainians -- and a lot of Roman Catholics -- who would dispute the appellation
                                                  >of her being Russian. The Viking princess Helga unwittingly started a long
                                                  >tradition of Germanic-blooded royalty, a tradition maintained until at least
                                                  >1917! This is not a troll. The name Olga is almost as common in Roman
                                                  >Catholic circles as in Russian ones.

                                                  I realize that and I certainly don't want to get into Ukrainian-Belorussian-Russian polemics on this list. However, what would the response be *if* the MP opened up a church of Our Lady of Chenstohova in Warsaw or a parish of St Patrick in Dublin? Might the locals not be a little bent out of shape? Remember the opposition to the MP building a church in Rome which is dedicated to St Catherine (and *not* St Ambrose of Milan). Furthermore the overwhelming majority of Catholic churches are dedicated to Our Lord, the Theotokos, Feasts and major saints (i.e St George, St Anne, St Elizabeth, the Evangelists, St Francis etc). How many "RC churches of St Olga" have you driven past in the US?

                                                  Hristofor