Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Church services in St. Petersburg

  • Paul O. BARTLETT
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 2, 2005
      On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, vkozyreff wrote (small excerpts):

      > Russia is a spiritual concept. I suppose this
      > is easier to understand for Russians.

      > There was a time when "Russian" and "Christian"
      > were synonymous, in Russia.

      Is there any place for non-Russians in all of this? If I were to
      try to come back to Orthodox Christianity, would there even be a place
      for me, a non-Russian, in ROCOR? Is Orthodox Christianity bigger and
      more inclusive than merely Russia?

      --
      Paul Bartlett
      PGP key info in message headers
      Message 36 of 36 , Feb 3, 2005
        Paul,

        This entire discussion has a very strong political connotation and most of it concerns issues outside the Church. It happens very often that some of us (Russians) bring our political ideas to Church because we are likely to find an audience there. ROCOR does not represent the entirety of Orthodox Christianity. It is a part of a historical Russian Church. I am sure you are aware that Orthodox Church is a community of Churches and those Churches are ethnic. That is why you are likely to encounter some cultural issues. Unless you are interested in Russian politics/history/culture I would suggest to stay away from "all of this" and focus on Salvation. It sounds as if you left Orthodoxy. I am sorry to hear that. Despite its ethnic character (the word Russia appears twice in the name of the Church) ROCOR was very successful as a missionary church in America. I have seen many communities composed entirely of non-Russian converts.

        viatcheslav