Our Holy Father Saint Euthymius the Great

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      Never, O man, is that which relates to the Church corrected through
      compromises: there is no middle way between the Truth and the lie... and
      although one can say that there is a mean between light and darkness which
      is called the morning and evening twilight, nevertheless between the Truth
      and the lie, however hard you try, you will never find a mean. St. Mark of
      Ephesus

                      Our Holy Fathers and Purity of Faith

      He is the true and genuine Orthodox who loves the truth of God, who loves
      the Church, who loves the Body of Christ, who esteems divine religion and
      the Orthodox Faith above every thing, above the authority, above the
      regard, above the genius, above the eloquence, above the philosophy, of
      every man whatsoever; who sets light by all of these, and continuing
      steadfast and established in the faith, resolves that he will believe
      that, and that only, which he is sure the Catholic Church has held
      universally and from ancient time; but that whatsoever new and unheard-of
      doctrine he shall find to have been furtively introduced by some one or
      another, besides that of all, or contrary to that of all the saints.
      St Vincent of Lerins

      Who have ears let him hear.....

      False prophets flatter the sins of their people, and thus, assist them
      even more to turn back good from their people. The true prophets go
      against the sins of the people, for they go along with good and cry out
      against sin, in order to be able to introduce good, which is from God, in
      the souls of their people.            St. Nikolai Velimirovic

      As much as the saints were so compassionate and lenient toward human
      weakness, so were they terribly unyielding and unbending in regard to the
      confession of the true dogmas of the Faith. Thus, St. Nicholas of Myra in
      Lycia struck Arius with his fist at the First Ecumenical Council [Nicaea,
      325 A.D.]. St. Anthony left his desert to come to Alexandria to publicly
      unmask Arius. St. Euthymius, being greatly pressured by the Empress
      Eudocia and the pseudo-Patriarch Theodosius and being unable to debate
      rationally with them, left the monastery and hid in the desert. All other
      distinguished monks followed his example. Euthymius remained in the desert
      until the pseudo-patriarch was ousted and Orthodoxy strengthened. When, in
      Jerusalem, the greatest agitation surfaced in the name of the emperor
      against the Fourth Ecumenical Council [Chalcedon, 451 A.D.] and when the
      entire population was frightened by the heretics, then St. Theodosius the
      Great already burdened with old age, as a fearless soldier of Christ, came
      to Jerusalem, entered the Great Church, ascended the stairs, waved his
      hands and said to the people, "If anyone does not respect the Fourth
      Ecumenical Council as he does the four evangelists, let him be anathema."
      (Until this time, only four Ecumenical Councils had been convened). All of
      those listeners were frightened by those words and none of the heretics
      dared to say anything contrary to those words.                         St
      Nikolai Velimirovic

      If there are any monks at all in these days, let them show themselves by
      their works . The task of monks is to prevent even slightest innovation
      being made in the Gospel, lest by setting up an example of heresy a and
      communion with heretics for laymen they provide a rationale for their
      destruction. /St Theodore Studite
      The Fearful, as is said in the Holy Scriptures are not loved by God. A
      monk(and any other Orthodox Christian) must not be fearful or cowardly,
      but must place his hope in God.Why does God not love the fearful? Because
      they are close to despondancy and despair, and these are deadly sins. A
      fearful man and coward are on the edge of abyss. A true monk(and any other
      Orthodox Christian)  must be stranger to such a state. St. Elder
      Barsanuphius of Optina 1905

      If you think that you are standing steadfastly ,preserving your faith pure
      from any admixture of the pernicious heretical novelties and errors either
      from the right or from the left  , than stand in fear of the Lord and keep
      what thou have with all thy might , lest in your negligience you fall to
      the error either to the right or to the left from the Royal Path which
      leadeth to salvation, but if you have wavered in your faith, than repent
      ,return from whence thou hast fallen and stand up in fear of the Lord
      while there is still time to do so ........, before we are called ,to give
      account of our faithfulnes to our Lord...so that we may not share the fate
      of ...... that evil servant who saith in his heart ,my Lord delayeth his
      comming......

      Sts Anthony the Great and Euthymius the Great

                                    HOLY FEAST OF THE

                           SAINT EUTHYMIUS THE GREAT

      Troparion of St Euthymios Tone 4

      Rejoice, O desert that has not given birth,/ be glad, thou who hast not
      travailed./ For a man of desires has multiplied thy children of the
      Spirit;/ he has planted them in piety and reared them on continence to the
      perfection of virtues./ By his prayers, O Christ our God, save our souls.

      Kontakion of St Euthymios Tone 8

      In thine august birth creation found joy,/ and in thy divine memory it
      receives the gladness of thy miracles./ Grant these richly to our souls, O
      Euthymios,/ and cleanse the stains of our sins that we may sing: Alleluia.

      Of noble and distinguished parents, Euthymius was born in the Armenian
      town of Melitene near the Euphrates river about the year 377 A.D. He was
      the only child, a son, born in answer to the prayer of his mother
      Dionisiya, who had a heavenly vision regarding the birth of Euthymius.
      From his youth, he lived a life of asceticism, at first in the proximity
      of his town [Melitene] but then, after he visited Jerusalem at age
      twenty-nine, in the desert between Jerusalem and Jericho called Pharan. He
      filled his days and nights with prayer, internal thoughts about God,
      contemplation and physical exertion. Around him many disciples gathered
      some of whom are glorious saints, such as Cyriac the Hermit, St. Sabas the
      Sanctified, Theotictus and others. By God's gift, Euthymius was a great
      miracle worker; he expelled demons, healed the gravely ill, brought water
      to the desert, multiplied bread and prophesied. He taught monks the love
      of labor saying, "If you eat bread, not of your own labor, know that you
      are eating of someone else's labor." When some of the younger monks wanted
      to fast more than others, he forbade them to do so and commanded them to
      come to the communal table so that they would not become prideful as a
      result of their excessive fasting. He also said that it was not good for a
      monk to move from place to place, for he said, " A tree frequently
      transplanted does not bear fruit. Whoever desires to do good, can do it
      from the place where he is." About love, he said, "What salt is to bread,
      love is to other virtues." During the first week of the Honorable Fast
      [Lenten Season], he retreated to the desert and remained there in solitary
      silence and godly-thoughts until just before the Feast of the
      Resurrection. During his life time, a large monastery [Lavra] was
      established in the proximity of his cave which later, throughout the
      centuries, was completely filled with monks as a beehive is filled with
      bees. His final command was that the monastery always adhere to
      hospitality and that the gates of the monastery never be closed. He died
      at the age of ninety-seven. The Patriarch of Jerusalem was in attendance
      at his funeral. The patriarch waited all day long until the great masses
      of people reverenced the body of the saint and only in the evening were
      they able to complete the Office for Burial for the Dead. On the seventh
      day following his death, Euthymius appeared radiant and rejoicing to
      Domentian, his disciple. The Venerable Euthymius, in truth, was a true
      "son of Light". He died in the year 473 A.D.

       THE HOLY MARTYRS INNAS, NIRRAS AND PINNAS

      They are considered to be the first Slavic martyrs who are mentioned in
      history. They are referred to as Scythians and disciples of St. Andrew the
      Apostle. They suffered for the Faith at the hands of their pagan neighbors
      on the right side of the Danube river near Varna. Tied up on the ice,
      Innas, Nirras and Pinnas froze and died in the Lord.

      That whether I or any one else should wish to detect the frauds and avoid
      the snares of heretics as they rise, and to continue sound and complete in
      the Orthodox  faith, we must, with the Lord helping, fortify our own
      belief in two ways; first, by the authority of the Divine Law, and then,
      by the Tradition of the Orthodox Church.  St Vincent of Lerins

      \Troparion of St Fechin Tone 3

      Thy God-pleasing life, O Father Fechin,/ is an inspiration in our
      spiritual struggles./ As thou didst guide souls to Christ in the abbey of
      Fore,/ cease not to intercede for all who call upon thy name,/ that our
      souls may be saved.

      Kontakion of St Fechin Tone 6

      Uprooting the tangled weeds of passion, O Father Fechin,/ thou didst cause
      the wilderness to blossom as a spiritual Eden./ Pray that we too may be
      found worthy of the fruits of the Spirit as we cry:/ Glory to Him Who has
      blessed thee,/ glory to Him Who didst teach thee the Orthodox Faith,/ glory
      to Him Who brings men to salvation through thy prayers.