Re: [orthodox-synod] Our Holy Fathers Athanasios and Cyril

  • David Stavro
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2005
      --- byakimov@... wrote:

      Cyril heard tidings of the teachings of the new
      Patriarch of Constantinople, Nestorius, he began
      attempting through private letters to bring Nestorius
      to renounce his heretical teaching about the
      Incarnation.
      When the heresiarch did not repent, Saint Cyril,
      together with Pope Celestine of Rome, led the Orthodox
      opposition to his error.

      Please allow me two comments:

      * Why do you call Nestorious a heretic? He was
      saturated with his Assyrian culture which placed its
      prints on his Christianity. That is natural. Assume
      the party of Nestorious won the day in Ephesus-I, they
      will be donated Orthodox while their opponents are the
      heretics?

      * It was bishop Celestine of Rome. The Romans
      plagiarized the title Pope after 451 and associated it
      with infallibility and the absolute authority of the
      bishop of Rome who witnesses the Logos while to the
      Egyptians it does denote the affection of fatherly
      love and he has one vote like any other bishop member
      of the Holy Synod.

      Regards,

      Stavro.

      http://mail.yahoo.com