Pause?

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2005
      Dear List,

      The document below is interesting to read and seems to indicate that
      Vl Gabriel may indeed be described as relatively close in his
      thinking to those who oppose the union with the MP before it
      renounces sergianism and ecumenism.

      As we do, he distinguishes between judging Met Sergius and judging
      his declaration.

      Here, no hint about that sergianism having its place in ROCOR so the
      Church would not be only for the "pure", or about refusal of
      sergianism amounting to some kind of donatism.

      Vl Gabriel does not speak about the fear of being diluted, but about
      the fear of losing independence.

      The MP declaration about its renouncing sergianism, promised as
      imminent by Father Alexander Lebedeff seems no to be ready as yet.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      Last September, "Russian line" published an interview with the
      secretary of the ROCOR Synod, Bishop of Manhattan Gabriel
      (Chemodakov) ("We have been speaking different languages. The MP
      cannot find any way to repudiate Met. Sergius's declaration"), and a
      letter from this bishop to "Russian Line" following which "in the
      present time, all of us should refrain from angry and irritable
      rhetoric".

      In the text below, Preosvyashchenneyshiy Vl. Gabriel proposes his
      vision of the course of the negotiations about the rapprochement
      between the MP and ROCOR.

      Today, as the process is experiencing a pause, we asked Vl. to
      comment about the results of the first stage of negotiations. The
      well-known orthodox writer and regular contributor of "Russian line"
      Andrey Ryumin talks on behalf of the "Russian Line" editorial staff
      with bishop Gabriel.

      Bishop of Manhattan Gabriel (Chemodakov): "We fear to lose our
      independence".

      "...On the other hand, one is under the general impression that each
      side is further insisting on its points, and that therefore, the
      negotiations are stalled.

      One may think that efforts aimed at issuing a common opinion on to
      the 1927 declaration of Met. Sergius are still ongoing. Of course,
      what is discussed is not the person of the metropolitan, but his
      action, the 1927 "declaration".

      In the open press, particularly in statements by Met Kyrill of
      Smolensk, consideration of principles about the interrelations
      between Church and State are everywhere, but the talks are in fact
      precisely about the very "declaration".

      One may assume, that a joint declaration will be published when it is
      adopted by both sides...."

      http://www.rusk.ru/st.php?idar=102899