Re: [orthodox-synod] Re: Ukrainian Autocephalous Church

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 28, 2004
      Fr. Alexander Lebedeff wrote:

      > Church liturgical language must always be elevated above the level of
      > street language--that is why literary Russian is not a good
      liturgical
      > language. "Otkroju rot moj" is just not elevated enough compared to
      > "otverzu usta moja."

      JRS: In fact, the "Living Church" or "Renovationists" under Kedrovsky,
      used once to sing a little differently:

      "Otkroju ja svoj rot", to the same melody exactly as "Otverzu usta
      moja"

      -- according to people who once mentioned it to me, having heard it
      themselves in Russia.

      The effect is ludicrous; one is tempted to reply, "A ty by luchshe ne
      otkryval..."

      > Little Babushkas, with no formal
      > education, comprehend the services... The same is true of Greek ya-
      yas who understand liturgical Greek
      > just by being exposed to it all their lives.

      JRS: A very old Cossack lady, who died at age 112, noticed, when the
      priest came to give her the last Holy Communion, that he had said
      something a little incorrectly in the Slavonic service.