Information about a Saint from Germany

  • Felipe Ortiz
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2004
      Dear all,

      Does anyone knows something about Saint Philip of Zell, an Orthodox
      Western Saint of the 8th century?

      Almost everything I know of him I´ve learned from this wonderful page
      (thank you very much, Fr Ambrose of Wellington, who told me about it) --
      <http://www.orthodoxengland.btinternet.co.uk/saintsp.htm>:

      "*Philip of Zell*. [Commemorated at] *May 3* [or 16, O.C.]. + c 770. A
      pilgrim from England, he settled as a hermit near Worms in Germany. With
      several disciples, he founded the monastery of Zell -- so called from
      his own original cell [/cella/ in Latin] -- which later grew into the
      town of Zell."

      As I was born at May 2/15, and we share the same name, I am seriously
      thinking about choosing him as my Name Saint. Naturally I wished to know
      a bit more about him. Searching at Google was not very effective; the
      only additional information I could find was about his consacration to
      priesthood in Rome and friendship (and probably spiritual parenthood) of
      the King Pepin the Short (don´t blame him on Charlemagne!). There was a
      bit more of information available in German sites -- but my German, once
      reasonable, is now almost completely forgotten. As far as I could grasp,
      that "Zell" town is Zell an der Mosel, the cradle of the "Schwarze Katz"
      wine (actually it seems much easier to find info about Schwarze Katz
      than regarding St Philip of Zell).

      Has anyone something else to say about him? I thought that possibly
      Orthodox Germans could know a bit more about him. I would like to know
      if his monastery still exists, what´s the very name of the monastery, if
      his grave and relics are still kept there or in other place, if one can
      find pictorial representations of him in the Web, and any other
      information regarding him.

      If someone here is from Germany, or by any other means is acquainted
      with this St Philip, please share with me. Thanks in advance!

      Felipe Ortiz
      unworthy catechumen
      Holy Trinity Church (ROCOR) -- São Paulo, Brazil

    • Felipe Ortiz
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 30, 2004
        Felipe Ortiz wrote:

        > don´t blame him on Charlemagne!

        Ooops. Sorry. I actually meant: "don´t blame Charlemagne on him!"

        Felipe Ortiz
        unworthy catechumen
        Holy Trinity Church (ROCOR) -- São Paulo, Brazil

      • boulia_1
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 30, 2004
          Dear Felipe -- I recommend you get in touch with the ROCOR monastery
          in Munich, or even Archbishop Mark, who, himself a German, has a
          special interest and knowledge of German saints. He's very busy, but
          I am sure he will be pleased to help or direct you to someone who
          can. You can find his contact information and e-mail address on the
          rocor web site.

          --Elizabeth

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, Felipe Ortiz

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2004
            boulia_1 wrote:

            >Dear Felipe -- I recommend you get in touch with the ROCOR monastery
            >in Munich, or even Archbishop Mark, who, himself a German, has a
            >special interest and knowledge of German saints. He's very busy, but
            >I am sure he will be pleased to help or direct you to someone who
            >can. You can find his contact information and e-mail address on the
            >rocor web site.

            Dear Elizabeth,

            This was indeed a very good idea.
            Unfortunately I could not do it. I have found three suitable e-mail
            addresses in ROCOR websites: one for Archbishop Mark (mark@...),
            other for the Monastery of St Job of Pochaev in Munich
            (hiobmon@...), and a third one for the German Diocese
            (info@...); but none of them works! Messages sent to any of
            these addresses always return.
            Do you (or anyone in this list) know a valid e-mail address to ROCOR in
            Germany?

            Thanks in advance. Please pray for me,