Simply not true

  • Dimitra Dwelley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2004
      Well spoken and beautiful, Matushka. I have often thought of this "older brother" syndrome, myself:

      The older brother had come to think of himself as his father's ONLY son and had disbelieved in the possibility of the healing of the younger son. Not only that, but the older brother was outright upset when the younger son came back and the father accepted him. He did not want to join him.
      The signs of this are quite clear when, instead of **rejoicing** at the building of churches, publication of Orthodox religious books (many or most from Jordanville!), freedom to worship in church and baptize and catechize children, we see all this dismissed with: "It isn't **really** happening," or, "It's happening BUT..." And I even saw posts trying to deny the reality of Fr. Arseny, because the conditions described therein do not fit the "older brother" mentality. Why, in there, even human beings who worked for the communist authorities had their hearts touched by Fr. Arseny and became believers. Just like St. Matthew the Publican, who had worked for the pagan authorities and had to yes, bow to pagan idols as part of his Roman civic duties, came and followed Christ. Or, the worst sign is, "The younger brother fell; he is illegal and is not a son any more and is not allowed to come back to the Father's house because it is not his father."
      The younger son, no matter how he strayed, remained a son and retained the capability of healing. And the older son, no matter how righteous he had been, had, conversely, the capability of falling from his father's will (by not rejoicing in the younger son's return). What an instructive parable!

      --Dimitra