Re: Should ROCOR repent?

  • Athanasios Jayne
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 5, 2004
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,
      "orthodoxchurch_sg" >

      >Dear Vladimir:
      > Who has no need of repentance?
      > God bless / Fr Daniel

      Yes, repentance is always in season.

      The holy desert Fathers would even go so far
      as to confess to faults they did not possess,
      in order to encourage their weaker brethren, to
      help them confess their true faults. By their
      humility and their love, these blessed Fathers won
      their brothers, and helped them overcome their sins.

      Truly this is the way of Christ.

      Who among us is without sin?

      When the Prodigal Son was returning to his
      father, his father "saw him, and had
      compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck,
      and kissed him." His father did this even
      before he could say, "Father, I have sinned."
      It was enough for his father that his son had
      returned. When his son confessed, his father
      did not even acknowledge it, but said:
      "Bring forth the best robe and put it on
      him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes
      on his feet: And bring hither the fatted
      calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be
      merry. For this my son was dead, and is
      alive again; he was lost, and is found."

      This is a picture of our Father in heaven,
      and Christ has said that we must be perfect,
      just as our Father in heaven is perfect.

      Love, compassion, and humility are also
      always in season.

      Athanasios.
    • vkozyreff
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 5, 2004
        Dear Father Daniel, bless.

        What you are saying is that nobody is right because everybody is in
        need of repentance. The logical conclusion of your sophism is that
        you are wrong because you are in need of repentance and that I am
        your friend because I state that you are wrong.

        If I tell you that you should repent for what you just wrote, I
        imply that what you just wrote is wrong. Some will support you
        however, in spite of the fact that everybody is in need of
        repentance, including you.

        I certainly need repentance.

        Saying however that the ROCOR should repent at least as much as the
        MP is implying that she was not more right than the MP and had to
        change direction.

        What I am saying is that those who say that the MP should repent (is
        wrong) are now considered as ROCOR's enemies and those who say that
        the ROCOR should repent (is wrong) are considered to be ROCOR's
        friends.

        In other words, the supporters of ROCOR's traditional path are now
        considered to be her enemies. This implies thus that the ROCOR did
        change her path, whatever the need of repentance in which every
        human is.

        In God,

        Vladimir Kozyreff

        <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:

        > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
        > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
        > >

        > > Dear List,
        > >
        > > We live now in a time where those who say:" The traditional
        ROCOR
        > > has been a pure and righteous defender of orthodoxy and has no
        > > reason to repent" are viewed ROCOR's enemies.
        > >
        > > Those who say :" the ROCOR has been wrong; she should repent at
        > > least as much as the MP" are considered as her friends.
        > >
        > > Trying to use our brain, does this not suggest that the ROCOR
        has
        > > somehow recently adopted a new path?
        > >
        > > In God,
        > >
        > > Vladimir Kozyreff
        >
        > Dear Vladimir:
        > Who has no need of repentance?
        > God bless / Fr Daniel
      • vkozyreff
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
          Dear Athanasios,

          The questions are:

          - should ROCOR repent for refusing sergianism and ecumenism?
          - should the MP repent for following Met Sergius and still claiming
          it was a bold step that will have to be taken again?
          - shall we adopt sergianism as a teaching now and as a strategy soon
          when persecutions come again?

          We must use our discernment and follow the true traditional orthodox
          path. We cannot say: "practicing sergianism is as good as refusing
          it because we all sin".

          Saying "we all sin" is true, but irrelevant in the discussion. What
          you are doing is simply spreading confusion.

          In God,

          Vladimir Kozyreff

          --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"
          <athanasiosj@j...> wrote:

          > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com,
          > "orthodoxchurch_sg" >
          >
          > >Dear Vladimir:
          > > Who has no need of repentance?
          > > God bless / Fr Daniel
          >
          > Yes, repentance is always in season.
          >
          > The holy desert Fathers would even go so far
          > as to confess to faults they did not possess,
          > in order to encourage their weaker brethren, to
          > help them confess their true faults. By their
          > humility and their love, these blessed Fathers won
          > their brothers, and helped them overcome their sins.
          >
          > Truly this is the way of Christ.
          >
          > Who among us is without sin?
          >
          > When the Prodigal Son was returning to his
          > father, his father "saw him, and had
          > compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck,
          > and kissed him." His father did this even
          > before he could say, "Father, I have sinned."
          > It was enough for his father that his son had
          > returned. When his son confessed, his father
          > did not even acknowledge it, but said:
          > "Bring forth the best robe and put it on
          > him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes
          > on his feet: And bring hither the fatted
          > calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be
          > merry. For this my son was dead, and is
          > alive again; he was lost, and is found."
          >
          > This is a picture of our Father in heaven,
          > and Christ has said that we must be perfect,
          > just as our Father in heaven is perfect.
          >
          > Love, compassion, and humility are also
          > always in season.
          >
          > Athanasios.
        • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
            At 01:12 AM 10/6/2004, Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:

            >Dear Athanasios,
            >
            >The questions are:
            >
            >- should ROCOR repent for refusing sergianism and ecumenism?
            >- should the MP repent for following Met Sergius and still claiming
            >it was a bold step that will have to be taken again?
            >- shall we adopt sergianism as a teaching now and as a strategy soon
            >when persecutions come again?
            >
            >We must use our discernment and follow the true traditional orthodox
            >path. We cannot say: "practicing sergianism is as good as refusing
            >it because we all sin".
            >
            >Saying "we all sin" is true, but irrelevant in the discussion. What
            >you are doing is simply spreading confusion.
            >
            >In God,
            >
            >Vladimir Kozyreff

            It seems to me that Vladimir is the one who is spreading confusion, with
            his repeated assertions that the Moscow Patriarchate's official position is
            that the path of compromise taken by Metropolitan Sergius was correct and
            that it is the one to be followed if persecutions should occur again.

            In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.

            If Vladimir thinks that the members of the Commission of the ROCOR for
            Dialog with the Moscow Patriarchate would not make this issue a key
            question that needed to be answered unequivocally, then he is also deeply
            wrong.

            In reality, the Hierarchical Sobor of the Moscow Patriarchate just
            yesterday approved the agreed upon texts of the Join Commissions, including
            texts that specifically annul the Declaration of 1927 and state that in the
            case of recurrence of persecution the Church must firmly confess the Truth
            and take the path of Martyrs and Confessors for Christ.

            Unfortunately, it is my opinion that Vladimir has so firmly shut his eyes
            that he will never be able to see the truth, and will probably continue to
            endlessly repeat that which he has convinced himself he believes, rather
            than what is real.

            Sad.

            With love in Christ,

            Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

          • vkozyreff
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 6, 2004
              Dear Father Alexander, bless.

              You write: "Unfortunately, it is my opinion that Vladimir has so
              firmly shut his eyes that he will never be able to see the truth,
              and will probably continue to endlessly repeat that which he has
              convinced himself he believes, rather than what is real. Sad".

              VK: Nothing could be farther from the truth, dear Father Alexander.
              What you are announcing is very good news indeed, and gives hope
              that we will soon be reunited again in ROCOR. Remember, I have no
              direct way of getting this information (see your recent message
              about the confidentiality of the talks), so I did not know before
              you posted this message.

              Please share with us as soon as possible all official documents on
              this topic.

              So, you agree after all that there is a definition for sergianism,
              that it should be firmly and unequivocally condemned, that Alexii
              II's theory about the "necessary sin" is wrong, and that the MP
              agreed that sergianism was not at all a "bold step" to be repeated.
              At last, things are becoming clear again.

              I thank God with all my heart. I am sure that all on this list will
              rejoice.

              Can we hope that ecumenism too is going to be repudiated soon by the
              MP?

              In God,

            • orthodoxchurch_sg
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 7, 2004
                <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:

                > Dear Father Daniel, bless.
                >
                > What you are saying is that nobody is right because everybody is in
                > need of repentance. The logical conclusion of your sophism

                Dear Vladimir:
                I am not saying anything of the kind. Neither do I accept my question
                constitutes sophism.
                I agree that there is a need for repentance on the part of some
                individuals in the MP (the Church itself cannot repent, but the
                sinners within it should). My problem with your post was that you
                seemed to be saying members of ROCOR had no need of repentance. As a
                member of ROCOR 1978-1999, I disagree with you.
                Now in your later post you are declaring that there are levels of
                repentance - along the lines of "we dont have to repent as much as
                you". This is a new one on me: Scriptural, Patristic, Conciliar
                references please?
                God bless / Fr Daniel
              • byakimov@csc.com.au
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 7, 2004
                  Dear Vladimir

                  I wish I was optimising about the MP as you seem to be but the MP double
                  standards are still at play -- say one thing but continue as before.... I
                  have not seen any sign, notwithstanding the so called working documents of
                  the committees, that the post soviet MP has condemned sergianism in the way
                  you suggest nor is it intending to leave the WCC any time soon...maybe I
                  missed something they officially said this week....

                  unworthy protodeacon Basil from Canberra

                  "vkozyreff" <vladimir.kozyreff@...> on 06/10/2004 11:30:27 PM

                  To: orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com
                  cc:
                  Subject: [orthodox-synod] Re: Should ROCOR repent?

                  <lebedeff@w...> wrote:
                  > At 01:12 AM 10/6/2004, Vladimir Kozyreff wrote:
                  >

                  > >Dear Athanasios,
                  > >
                  > >The questions are:
                  > >
                  > >- should ROCOR repent for refusing sergianism and ecumenism?
                  > >- should the MP repent for following Met Sergius and still
                  claiming
                  > >it was a bold step that will have to be taken again?
                  > >- shall we adopt sergianism as a teaching now and as a strategy
                  soon
                  > >when persecutions come again?
                  > >
                  > >We must use our discernment and follow the true traditional
                  orthodox
                  > >path. We cannot say: "practicing sergianism is as good as refusing
                  > >it because we all sin".
                  > >
                  > >Saying "we all sin" is true, but irrelevant in the discussion.
                  What
                  > >you are doing is simply spreading confusion.
                  > >
                  > >In God,
                  > >
                  > >Vladimir Kozyreff
                  > >

                  > It seems to me that Vladimir is the one who is spreading
                  confusion, with
                  > his repeated assertions that the Moscow Patriarchate's official
                  position is
                  > that the path of compromise taken by Metropolitan Sergius was
                  correct and
                  > that it is the one to be followed if persecutions should occur
                  again.

                  > In reality, nothing could be further from the truth.
                  >
                  > If Vladimir thinks that the members of the Commission of the ROCOR
                  for
                  > Dialog with the Moscow Patriarchate would not make this issue a
                  key
                  > question that needed to be answered unequivocally, then he is also
                  deeply
                  > wrong.
                  >
                  > In reality, the Hierarchical Sobor of the Moscow Patriarchate just
                  > yesterday approved the agreed upon texts of the Join Commissions,
                  including
                  > texts that specifically annul the Declaration of 1927 and state
                  that in the
                  > case of recurrence of persecution the Church must firmly confess
                  the Truth
                  > and take the path of Martyrs and Confessors for Christ.
                  >
                  > Unfortunately, it is my opinion that Vladimir has so firmly shut
                  his eyes
                  > that he will never be able to see the truth, and will probably
                  continue to
                  > endlessly repeat that which he has convinced himself he believes,
                  rather
                  > than what is real.
                  >
                  > Sad.
                  >

                  > With love in Christ,
                  >
                  > Prot. Alexander Lebedeff

                • vkozyreff
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 8, 2004
                    Dear Father Raphael, bless.

                    Heb. 5:11-14 says that we are to discern the good from the evil in a
                    person's or organisation's life and behaviour.

                    1 Cor. 2:15: "he that is spiritual judges all things…"

                    We are to use discernment to appreciate a thing's true value, and to
                    appreciate the gravity of sins. The MP is the embodiment of the
                    treason of Christ's Church. ROCOR has been the witness of Christ, in
                    spite of her sins.

                    Teaching that both organisations are even because they are both in
                    need of repentance is spreading confusion and refusing to judge as
                    we are expected to do. It is betraying Christ again.

                    In God,

                    Vladimir Kozyreff

                    <orthodoxchurch_sg@y...> wrote:

                    > --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "vkozyreff"
                    > <vladimir.kozyreff@s...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Dear Father Daniel, bless.
                    > >
                    > > What you are saying is that nobody is right because everybody is
                    in
                    > > need of repentance. The logical conclusion of your sophism
                    >
                    > Dear Vladimir:
                    > I am not saying anything of the kind. Neither do I accept my
                    question
                    > constitutes sophism.
                    > I agree that there is a need for repentance on the part of some
                    > individuals in the MP (the Church itself cannot repent, but the
                    > sinners within it should). My problem with your post was that you
                    > seemed to be saying members of ROCOR had no need of repentance. As
                    > member of ROCOR 1978-1999, I disagree with you.
                    > Now in your later post you are declaring that there are levels of
                    > repentance - along the lines of "we dont have to repent as much as
                    > you". This is a new one on me: Scriptural, Patristic, Conciliar
                    > references please?
                    > God bless / Fr Daniel
                  • vkozyreff
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 10, 2004
                      Dear Father Basil,

                      I tend to have no trust whatsoever in the MP. The news is difficult
                      to believe. It is contrary to all expectation. It contradicts all
                      that we have known about the MP denying that sergianism had even a
                      definition.

                      In spite of all, Father Alexander (who, for some time, shared with
                      the MP the idea that sergianism cannot be defined) advises us that
                      the MP has now confessed sergianism, condemned it and repented.

                      Who would dare make such a dramatic announcement if it were not
                      true? Anyway, it will or will not be published very soon. The whole
                      world will know whether this was true or not. Do you understand what
                      risk Father Alexander would take for his credibility if it turned
                      out to be false?

                      In God,

                      Vladimir Kozyreff

                      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, byakimov@c... wrote:

> [...]
                      also
                      > deeply
                      > > wrong.
                      > >
                      > > In reality, the Hierarchical Sobor of the Moscow Patriarchate
                      just
                      > > yesterday approved the agreed upon texts of the Join Commissions,
                      > including
                      > > texts that specifically annul the Declaration of 1927 and state
                      > that in the
                      > > case of recurrence of persecution the Church must firmly confess
                      > the Truth
                      > > and take the path of Martyrs and Confessors for Christ.
                      > >
                      > > Unfortunately, it is my opinion that Vladimir has so firmly shut
                      > his eyes
                      > > that he will never be able to see the truth, and will probably
                      > continue to
                      > > endlessly repeat that which he has convinced himself he believes,

                    • vkozyreff
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 11, 2004
                        Dear List,

                        Thank to Father Alexander, we have just been advised about the
                        progress that has been made, at last, in agreeing between ourselves
                        and with the MP that sergianism is a horrible sin that should never
                        be repeated.

                        We have been glad to hear that the MP has already stated that, in
                        case of persecution, the path or the martyrs will have to be
                        followed and not that of Met. Sergius. Glory to God.

                        It seems thus appropriate to secure this thinking among ourselves as
                        a cement of our unity in Christ, and to mark the end of the
                        confusion about sergianism that has reigned for a while in our
                        circles, in the hurry to join the MP.

                        Please see below a report about sergianism by HIEROMARTYR ANDREW,
                        ARCHBISHOP OF UFA. I suggest that we unite in rejecting this
                        fundamentally unorthodox doctrine.

                        I suggest to, pay great attention to the excerpt right below, about
                        the frequent temptation (even in ROCOR) to consider the hierarchy,
                        not the totality of the believers as being the Church:

                        "Besides, they consider (the sergianist) that they, that is, the
                        hierarchs, are the Church, in spite of the teaching of the Apostle
                        Paul:

                        "But I consider that the holy Church is constituted by all the
                        believers, all the sons of God through faith in Jesus Christ

                        "For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus"
                        (Galatians 3.26),

                        the whole people of God, the living stones from which the spiritual
                        house is being built

                        "and, like living stones, let yourselves be built 4 into a spiritual
                        house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices
                        acceptable to God through Jesus Christ"(I Peter 2.5),

                        the Body of Christ on the foundation of the Apostles and prophets,
                        Christ Jesus being the head corner-stone; and it is, therefore,
                        called a temple".

                        In God,

                        Vladimir Kozyreff

                        On October 4, 1932 Archbishop Andrew wrote:

                        "After Peter, Metropolitan Sergius took his place, having obtained
                        it in a completely anti-canonical manner. This Metropolitan Sergius'
                        administration can be characterised in the words: hypocrisy and
                        cynical dishonour. Whereas the Lord Himself demands from His
                        followers, first of all, that they should avoid the leaven of the
                        Pharisees

                        "Meanwhile, when a crowd of many thousands had gathered, so that
                        they were trampling on one another, Jesus began to speak first to
                        his disciples, saying: "Be on your guard against the yeast of the
                        Pharisees, which is hypocrisy"(Luke 12.1)

                        and the leaven of Herod

                        "Be careful," Jesus warned them. "Watch out for the yeast of the
                        Pharisees and that of Herod." (Mark8.15),

                        while honourableness is considered the elementary virtue of every
                        citizen and a still more necessary virtue for a bishop

                        "Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one
                        wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to
                        teach" (I Timothy 3.2).

                        The same leaven of Herod has forced Metropolitan Sergius and all
                        those communicating with him to violate the 30th Apostolic Canon

                        Canon XXX. (XXXI.) If any bishop obtain possession of a church by
                        the aid of the temporal powers, let him be deposed and
                        excommunicated, and all who communicate with him,

                        the 3rd Canon of the Seventh Ecumenical Council

                        CANON III. That it does not pertain to princes to choose a
                        Bishop. "LET every election of a bishop, presbyter, or deacon, made
                        by princes stand null, according to the canon which says:

                        If any bishop making use of the secular powers shall by their means
                        obtain jurisdiction over any church, he shall be deposed, and also
                        excommunicated, together with all who remain in communion with him.
                        For he who is raised to the episcopate must be chosen by bishops, as
                        was decreed by the holy fathers of Nice in the canon which says:

                        It is most fitting that a bishop be ordained by all the bishops in
                        the province; but if this is difficult to arrange, either on account
                        of urgent necessity, or because of the length of the journey, three
                        bishops at least having met together and given their votes, those
                        also who are absent having signified their assent by letters, the
                        ordination shall take place. The confirmation of what is thus done,
                        shall in each province be given by the metropolitan thereof".

                        and very many others. In general the sins of Sergius and his
                        dishonourable Synod are evident and all in all can be called `the
                        dishonourable heresy of the slanderers of Christianity' (The Seventh
                        Ecumenical Council, canon 7).

                        CANON VII. That to churches consecrated without any deposit of the
                        reliques of the Saints, the defect should be made good.

                        PAUL the divine Apostle says: "The sins of some are open beforehand,
                        and some they follow after."

                        These are their primary sins, and other sins follow these.
                        Accordingly upon the heels of the heresy of the traducers of the
                        Christians, there followed close other ungodliness. For as they took
                        out of the churches the presence of the venerable images, so
                        likewise they cast aside other customs which we must now revive and
                        maintain in accordance with the written and unwritten law.

                        We decree therefore that relics shall be placed with the accustomed
                        service in as many of the sacred temples as have been consecrated
                        without the relics of the Martyrs. And if any bishop from this time
                        forward is found consecrating a temple without holy relics, he shall
                        be deposed, as a transgressor of the ecclesiastical traditions.

                        This heresy is more evil that the heresy of slandering the holy
                        icons (iconoclasm). It is a new union with unbelief, bound up with
                        the establishment of completely ant ecclesiastical kataskopoi. It is
                        a hidden form of Arianism – a political…

                        In view of the aforesaid, from July,1927 I was forced (forced
                        precisely by Metropolitan Sergius and his unrighteousnesses) to
                        depart completely from these hierarchs, who do not want to be
                        servitors of the Church, as the Apostle Paul commanded

                        "Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God
                        which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God"
                        (Colossians1.25),

                        but wish only to lord it over God's inheritance, which the Apostle
                        Paul so decisively forbade (I Timothy 5.3). I consider that there
                        can be no concord between Christ and Beliar, between the faithful
                        and the unfaithful

                        "To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance
                        of life. And who is equal to such a task?". (II Corinthians 2.16).

                        And yet it is on this that all the `Niconian' hierarchs,without
                        distinction of groupings, establish this sinful agreement and wish
                        to set up the Church, and not on the Cross of Christ.

                        Besides, they consider that they, that is, the hierarchs, are the
                        Church, in spite of the teaching of the Apostle Paul

                        "For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because
                        we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly
                        dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life". (II
                        Corinthians 5.4).