Fwd: Consistency

  • Dimitra Dwelley
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      --- Original Message ---
      From: "Dimitra Dwelley" <dimitradd@...>
      To: <orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 12:37:49 -0400
      Subject: Consistency

      > I just wonder about consistency....  So many ROCOR refugees served
      > the German state, which was at that time evil, no?   Pledges of
      > loyalty to the Sultan were also made under the Ottoman rule -- the
      > same Sultan who would order the murder of Orthodox Christians.
      > Please do not tell me that "that is different."  As a matter of
      > fact, both St. George and St. Dimitri the Great Martyrs were State
      > officials of a State that was persecuting Christians, and although
      > at some point they gave up this office and went to martyrdom, yet
      > also for some time they had to have been in their State positions,
      > knowing that the State was killing Christians.  They even were
      > proclaiming Christ from their State positions.   Was their Faith
      > false, then, because they proclaimed it while holding State office
      > under an emperor that persecuted Christians?  Was their martyrdom
      > invalid, because they had held office in a god-fighting State?
      >
      > I am not defending what Metr. Sergius did, but I am letting my
      > Church and hierarchy decide the thorny questions of the communist
      > times, for there are so many parallels between those times and the
      > Ottoman yoke and Roman persecutions.  It's not an easy question,
      > but  I can't see applying different rules for one than for the
      > others.  I also can't see trying to decide this myself, without my
      > hierarchy, and without the Council.  I do remember that the
      > Donatists, in all their "correctness" were the ones who were
      > condemned by the Church.  I think that is a very weighty lesson to
      > keep in mind.  And they were the majority, at least in North Africa!
      >

      > --DD
      >

      > P.S.
      >

      >> Stalin & Lenin served the
      >> evil one..... and those who proclaimed the soviet state as their
      >> fatherland also served the same master be it indirectly but some
      >> served directly for they knew evil was done or they did it
      >> themselves & they justified it.... there is no grey area in this
      >> &    the end does not justify the means....
    • michael nikitin
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        Moslem's clergy did not put on Orthodox riassas and did not
        pretend to be pious Orthodox bishops which was done by
        Soviet KGB agents who became bishops in riassas.

        And then, one wrong does not make another wrong right and it should not set precedence.

        It is now common in some circles to bring out some wrong to defend another.
        Such as defending Metr. Sergius with another wrong. It is presently being done with frequency by those who have no clue as to what they're actually trying to say.

        Our ROCOR never defended Sergianism.

        Those who defend Sergianism do not belong in ROCOR.

        Michael N