Re: ROCOR and the Need to Repent [was: Sviatitel' Sergij]

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
      Fr. Alexis Duncan wrote:

      > The Russian Church Abroad needs to repent of nothing
      > whatsoever. The idea!

      JRS: Come now!

      ROCOR has unfortunately made a lot of mistakes in the past.

      I have always maintained that the most serious ones took place under
      Metropolitan Philaret: by far the greatest, being involved with the
      Panteleimon-coterie in Boston.

      But there were others.

      However, we cannot speak of a church or a nation "repenting". Only
      individuals repent: groups of people may change their direction.

      > But the Church that preserved the Faith
      > amid the howls and degradations of what we call "modern
      > Orthodoxy" has nothing that stains Her spotless garment.

      JRS: In general, nothing ever can stain the spotless garment of the
      Orthodox Church: the Church is the mystical Body of Christ, in this
      world and the next.

      There is no "modern Orthodoxy". Orthodoxy is the same for all time.
      There are certain individuals and movements, but there is only the one
      Orthodox Church.

      > Liberalism never
      > changes does it?

      JRS: Does fanaticism ever change?

    • Fr. Alexis Duncan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2004
        Are you calling me a fanatic dear father?

        And how dare you besmirch the memory of Vladika Philaret of
        blessed memory. You do it every chance you get. Any one else
        you would wish to defame? Interesting how we can do a "snow
        job" on Met Sergius and his followers and at the same time
        drag our own saintly hierarchs through the mud shamelessly.
        We bend over backwards to appease the MP and at the same
        time befoul the memory of those whose incorrupt relics bear
        witness to their holiness.

        There is no "modern Orthodoxy"? Look at the new calendar
        jurisdictions where they openly profess ecumenism and all
        dallies into modernism. Look the abrogation of fasting. Look
        at the almost complete erasure of confession in some
        locales. Look at the simplistic attitudes that mark a
        debased humanism that permeates the modernists.

        The world is turned upside down. Black has become white and
        white, black. I shake my head.

        Fr. Alexis Duncan
        Joy of All Who Sorrow Russian Orthodox Church
        Atlanta, GA
        www.orthodoxinfo.biz