Re: Please, no. (was re: Fr. Nikita Orloff - Now a Bishop?")

  • (matushka) Ann Lardas
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
      >There are only clergymen, correct!, but matushka is using that term
      to mean members of clergy families: fathers, mothers, sons and
      daughters,hence clergypeople. Am I not right?
      <

      I apologize. While Fr. Stephan is correct that all those where
      invoked, I meant a wide range of clergy, readers to bishops, but I
      should have left off the "people" part. I recently visited one of my
      favorite Orthodox toddlers, who referred to her mother joyously
      as "my Mommy person!" and started adding the word on in jest to other
      nouns -- here comes the mailman person, dont' get sent to the
      principal person, etc. If nothing else, it points out the danger of
      habit!

      Thank you for pointing this out.

      In Christ,
      Matushka Ann
    • Paul O. BARTLETT
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
        On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, (matushka) Ann Lardas wrote (small excerpt):

        > We struggle to be Orthodox. We should strive, also, to be Christian.

        I thought that in the understanding of traditional Orthodox
        Christians, "being Orthodox" and "being Christian" are two different
        ways of saying the same thing, i.e., that no non-Orthodox are truly
        Christian. At least, such was the understanding I acquired lo these
        many years ago.

        --
        Paul Bartlett
        PGP key info in message headers