Re: Please, no. (was re: Fr. Nikita Orloff - Now a Bishop?")

  • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
      There are only clergymen, correct!, but matushka is using that term to
      mean members of clergy families: fathers, mothers, sons and daughters,
      hence clergypeople. Am I not right?

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, frgregory@k... wrote:
      > Quoting "(matushka) Ann Lardas" <matanna@a...>:
      >
      > > Dear Constantine,
      > >
      > > You and I both are on another list, upon which a godfather asked that
      > > his godchild's parents' divorce not become the fodder of internet
      > > discussion. ... after which each person posted
      > > his own spin upon what he had been told by other clergypeople.
      >
      > How right you are, Matushka... but PLEASE -- "clergypeople"?!!!
      Having been to
      > a couple of meetings presided over by a "chair" (not a person), and
      to more
      > than a few restaurants where I was taken care of by a "wait", please
      spare me a
      > "clergypeople", much less "a clergy". Bastardization of language
      does not
      > promote "equality of the sexes" or of anything else. You, of all
      people,
      > should know!
    • (matushka) Ann Lardas
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
        >There are only clergymen, correct!, but matushka is using that term
        to mean members of clergy families: fathers, mothers, sons and
        daughters,hence clergypeople. Am I not right?
        <

        I apologize. While Fr. Stephan is correct that all those where
        invoked, I meant a wide range of clergy, readers to bishops, but I
        should have left off the "people" part. I recently visited one of my
        favorite Orthodox toddlers, who referred to her mother joyously
        as "my Mommy person!" and started adding the word on in jest to other
        nouns -- here comes the mailman person, dont' get sent to the
        principal person, etc. If nothing else, it points out the danger of
        habit!

        Thank you for pointing this out.

        In Christ,
        Matushka Ann
      • Paul O. BARTLETT
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
          On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, (matushka) Ann Lardas wrote (small excerpt):

          > We struggle to be Orthodox. We should strive, also, to be Christian.

          I thought that in the understanding of traditional Orthodox
          Christians, "being Orthodox" and "being Christian" are two different
          ways of saying the same thing, i.e., that no non-Orthodox are truly
          Christian. At least, such was the understanding I acquired lo these
          many years ago.

          --
          Paul Bartlett
          PGP key info in message headers