Re: Please, no. (was re: Fr. Nikita Orloff - Now a Bishop?")

  • Constantine (David) Wright
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, matanna@a... wrote:

      > Second, such things no longer fall under the perview of this list.
      > This is the "synod" list, dedicated to discussing ROCOR doings.
      > If Fr. Nikita has accepted ordination outside of ROCOR, for a
      > diocese which already has a ROCOR bishop, then this is sad, but
      > it's no longer a ROCOR affair.

      But it was Fr. Alexander Lebedeff, a ROCOR priest, who first posted
      this information to this list! Surely it is for ROCOR discussion if
      such a prominent ROCOR priest posts it here.

      In Christ,
      Rd. Constantine

      + Reader Constantine Wright
      IC|XC http://constans_wright.tripod.com
      +--+--+ Traditional Orthodox Christian
      NI|KA http://www.new-ostrog.org/paper1.html
      + Member of St. Nicholas Orthodox Church of
      the Patriarchate of Jerusalem in the Americas
    • (matushka) Ann Lardas
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
        Dear Constantine,

        >But it was Fr. Alexander Lebedeff, a ROCOR priest, who first posted
        this information to this list! Surely it is for ROCOR discussion if
        such a prominent ROCOR priest posts it here.
        <

        You and I both are on another list, upon which a godfather asked that
        his godchild's parents' divorce not become the fodder of internet
        discussion. I agreed with him in that case and I think it applies to
        this one, besides. There are things that edify (which as a classicist
        you know means literally to "build up") and there are things that
        tear down. I don't want to see anyone torn down, not even so his
        supporters can hoist him back up again. It's just plain unseemly.

        Besides, what Fr. Alexander did was ask a question. He didn't furnish
        information, beyond that Fr. Nikita had been married, he rather
        requested information. Now, we have an answer -- Fr. Nikita chose to
        be ordained in another jurisdiction. Alas. But we don't need to go on
        more, having answered the question at hand. On another list, to be
        sure, a high ranking clergy member of another jurisdiction told us a
        whole lot of other people's business, after which each person posted
        his own spin upon what he had been told by other clergypeople. So let
        me ask you -- were you edified? Did you go to bed glorifying God
        because you'd read it? Did it increase your faith, deepen your love,
        inspire you to augment your spiritual struggles?

        To the best of my knowledge, Fr. Nikita is not a member of this list.
        And, why would he be? It's for ROCOR members and friends of ROCOR.
        But why should we be discussing someone's personal business when he
        isn't even on the list?

        We struggle to be Orthodox. We should strive, also, to be Christian.
        It's hard. We start with baby steps. But for the love of God, let us
        start.

        With love in Christ,
        matushka Ann
      • frgregory@kronstadt.org
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
          Quoting "(matushka) Ann Lardas" <matanna@...>:

          > Dear Constantine,
          >
          > You and I both are on another list, upon which a godfather asked that
          > his godchild's parents' divorce not become the fodder of internet
          > discussion. ... after which each person posted
          > his own spin upon what he had been told by other clergypeople.

          How right you are, Matushka... but PLEASE -- "clergypeople"?!!! Having been to
          a couple of meetings presided over by a "chair" (not a person), and to more
          than a few restaurants where I was taken care of by a "wait", please spare me a
          "clergypeople", much less "a clergy". Bastardization of language does not
          promote "equality of the sexes" or of anything else. You, of all people,
          should know!
        • Archpriest Stefan Pavlenko
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2004
            There are only clergymen, correct!, but matushka is using that term to
            mean members of clergy families: fathers, mothers, sons and daughters,
            hence clergypeople. Am I not right?

            --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, frgregory@k... wrote:
            > Quoting "(matushka) Ann Lardas" <matanna@a...>:
            >
            > > Dear Constantine,
            > >
            > > You and I both are on another list, upon which a godfather asked that
            > > his godchild's parents' divorce not become the fodder of internet
            > > discussion. ... after which each person posted
            > > his own spin upon what he had been told by other clergypeople.
            >
            > How right you are, Matushka... but PLEASE -- "clergypeople"?!!!
            Having been to
            > a couple of meetings presided over by a "chair" (not a person), and
            to more
            > than a few restaurants where I was taken care of by a "wait", please
            spare me a
            > "clergypeople", much less "a clergy". Bastardization of language
            does not
            > promote "equality of the sexes" or of anything else. You, of all
            people,
            > should know!
          • (matushka) Ann Lardas
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
              >There are only clergymen, correct!, but matushka is using that term
              to mean members of clergy families: fathers, mothers, sons and
              daughters,hence clergypeople. Am I not right?
              <

              I apologize. While Fr. Stephan is correct that all those where
              invoked, I meant a wide range of clergy, readers to bishops, but I
              should have left off the "people" part. I recently visited one of my
              favorite Orthodox toddlers, who referred to her mother joyously
              as "my Mommy person!" and started adding the word on in jest to other
              nouns -- here comes the mailman person, dont' get sent to the
              principal person, etc. If nothing else, it points out the danger of
              habit!

              Thank you for pointing this out.

              In Christ,
              Matushka Ann
            • Paul O. BARTLETT
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 3, 2004
                On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, (matushka) Ann Lardas wrote (small excerpt):

                > We struggle to be Orthodox. We should strive, also, to be Christian.

                I thought that in the understanding of traditional Orthodox
                Christians, "being Orthodox" and "being Christian" are two different
                ways of saying the same thing, i.e., that no non-Orthodox are truly
                Christian. At least, such was the understanding I acquired lo these
                many years ago.

                --
                Paul Bartlett
                PGP key info in message headers