[orthodox-synod] A story

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 1999
      M. Scott Peck, M.D., a psychiatrist who writes popular books about religious
      subjects, in his book Further Along the Road Less Traveled (which, perhaps,
      to be regarded as analogous to movies such as "Son of Flicka," because they
      are the same theme revisited) tells a story about a young Philippino girl who
      claims she has talks with Jesus.

      The bishop of Manila becomes concerned, because, as Dr. Peck puts it: ". . .
      you can't have any unauthorized saints waking around in the Catholic Church."

      So, a monsignor is appointed to look into the matter.

      "The little girl was brought to the bishop's palace for a series of
      psychotheological diagnostic interviews. At the end of the third interview,
      the monsignor threw up his hands and said: 'I just don't know. I don't know
      what to make of this. I don't know whether you're for real of not. But
      there is one acid test. The next time you talk to Jesus, I want you to ask
      Him what I confessed to at my last confession. Would you do that?' "

      The little girl said she would.

      At their next session, the monsignor asked if she had asked Jesus that
      question.

      "Yes, Father," she answered, "I did."

      And what did Jesus answer?

      The little girl said: " Jesus said, 'I've forgotten'."

      Peck concludes: "There are two possible interpretations to this story. One
      is that that girl was one smart little psychopath. But the more likely is
      that she really did talk to Jesus, because what she was expressing is pure,
      thoroughbred Christian doctrine. Once our sins are confessed with
      contrition, they are forgotten, they no longer exist in the mind of God."

      I thought this story worth the price of the book.

      Father Andrew