[orthodox-synod] Re: Einstein

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 1999
      For the record, and your post illustrates that by quoting exactly: I did
      not mention Einstein's theory of relativity. Rather, I spoke of a space
      time continuum, in which the past, the present, and the future are a single
      entity.

      Recently, I went to see Tom Stoppard's play "The Arcadians." Tom Stoppard
      is one of my favorite playwrights.

      A young woman (whom I did not know) sitting beside me asked if I had seen the
      play before. "No," I said, "but I can tell you what it's about."

      "What?"

      "It will be as though we had come in, in the middle of the second act. We
      shall have no idea who the characters are, nor what their relationship with
      each other may be. At the end of the play, we shall have no better idea than
      we do now."

      I might as well have answered: "It's about 2 hours."

      After the first act, about half the audience left.

      What most people think "relative" means is: Nothing has any value. They
      are actually (without meaning to do so) espouses a Principle of Chaos, in
      which nothing has any more meaning than anything else. Dog vomit vs true
      love. Apparently, in our day, anything might as well be everything else.

      At the end of the Arcadians, by the way, the situation was worse than I had
      told the young woman. Characters from the 18th century mingle with those
      from the 20th century. Space and time had become as nothing. Each character
      is in costuming appropriate for her/his time period, but, as none of them is
      paying the least attention to the others, it really doesn't matter.

      Does it?

      Father Andrew