[orthodox-synod] Re: Misha's icon message

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 1999
      Back in the good ole days, when I working on my Ph.D. in art history, we
      discovered there were some persons depicted in wall mosaics who had been
      living at the time of the creation of the work. While the saints were given
      round nimbi, the living (who were believed to be) saints were sometimes given
      oblong ones.

      One assumes the intention was the same: To show that God was working in the
      life of the one being depicted.

      Whether or not we believe that God was in Mozart, creating all that wonderful
      music, we have to admit that any beauty, any holiness, any "grace," has the
      same source: The One described by (Pseudo) Dionysius the Areopagite as
      The One Above All Number ( ho hyperenomen henos).

      If some have found expressions of holiness, goodness, beauty, truth, or
      grace in the life of someone who does not belong to the One True Church
      (the one meeting with your family in that basement chapel), why cavil about
      that? Be grateful that God is merciful to the just and the unjust, that, in
      His Super-substantial Goodness, he has made something beautiful in the world,
      in the souls outside our conception of what ought to be.

      Misha, whom I conceive as innocent in all of this, was but the occasion for
      this and other responses. To the others, in the words of Shakespeare, I ask:

      "Because thou art virtuous, shall there be no more cakes nor ale?"

      Father Andrew