[orthodox-synod] Re: Status of St. Isaac Skete (Fr. Gregory's words)

  • Michael Tscheekar
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
      Father, Bless!

      Please, it wasn't me! I'm Michael, and I wrote:

      > > Those people in Nebraska that aren't even Christian make some beautiful
      > > icons too, and there's a Jesuit priest who makes some great icons (along
      > > with some that show Ghandi and M.L. King and others) too; but I wouldn't
      > > buy any from them either, for the same reason that Joseph so ably
      > > articulated.
      > >
      > > The St. Isaac Skete icons are beautiful, and I have many at home. And
      > > that's the pity and the sorrow of this situation.
      > >
      > > Misha
      > > California

      To which Iov Brianovich responded:

      > Not to be a thimblehead, as I agree that one should try to avoid this(unless
      > perhaps someone is having an obscure saint you much desire(like your name
      > saint), in which case you will buy even from Moscow Patriarchate or any
      > source that has baggage with it), but if one were strict in this, and not
      > being inconsistent no one would have hardly any books to read as most of the
      > good english books are published by the Hermanites, which is their life
      > blood, or Catholics(esp. Cistercians) or this and that group who is not in
      > communion with us. Sorry to be a twit.

      And then Father Gregory quoted Iov Brianovich's comments:

      >Fr. Gregory Williams wrote:
      >
      > ...if one were strict in this, and not
      > >being inconsistent no one would have hardly any books to read as most of the
      > >good english books are published by the Hermanites, which is their life
      > >blood, or Catholics(esp. Cistercians) or this and that group who is not in
      > >communion with us.

      And attributed them to me:

      > Hey, come on, Michael! We publish quite a few good books (about 50 of
      > them, not counting any of the liturgical or music books), as does Holy
      > Trinity, and no few others scattered around here and there. Problem with
      > books from the Hermanites (and we carry plenty of them) is you always have
      > to be on the alert for landmines buried in the text, footnotes or
      > appendices. At least the Cistercians are honestly where they are.
      > --Fr. Gregory Williams

      ....Please, it wasn't me who said that. I love and I own books published
      by St. John of Kronstadt Press!

      Respectfully,

      Misha in California
      (...Rejoicing because our nearest Russian parish now has a priest once a
      month....)
    • Fr. Gregory Williams
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 1999
        >....Please, it wasn't me who said that. I love and I own books published
        >by St. John of Kronstadt Press!

        Apologies, Misha, and thanks!
        --Fr. Gregory Williams

        1180 Orthodox Way