[orthodox-synod] Calendars and saints

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
      Actually, since Einstein (who was a Jew, so what did he know?) thought
      space/time to be a continuum, and "the past, the present and the future a
      delusion----a persistent delusion, but nevertheless a delusion,") the
      arbitrary division of time into calendars and days of the week is ridiculous,
      on the face of it.

      As for saints: Are we not all called to be saints? I remember that terribly
      British children's hymn which (in part) goes: ". . . one was a soldier
      and one was priest, and one was killed by a fierce wild beast, and there
      isn't any reason, no not the least, why I shouldn't be one too."

      Some of the kindest gentlest human beings I have known were Hindu;
      conversely, some of the nastiness, most malicious sorts I ever met were
      Christian. Ghandi said he couldn't become a Christian, because he'd never
      met any.

      Maybe if he had just encountered some on the List?!

      Nevertheless, every Friday, at "Tatoo," which the Indian Government inherited
      from the British, as the troops pass in review, the bands still play "Abide
      with me, fast falls the eventide. . . ." a fine old Anglican hymn. The
      words "Abide with me. . . . " were written by John Henry Cardinal Newman, in
      the 19th century.

      When the troops pass in review, marching to a Christian hymn, the Hindu
      president of India, stands stiffly at attention, and accepts their salute.
      Some how, everyone else seems to have missed the incongruity. At least the
      participants have missed it.

      Make the circle wider.

      Father Andrew
    • Udut, Kenneth
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 1999
        |From: LJames6034@... [mailto:LJames6034@...]
        |Actually, since Einstein (who was a Jew, so what did he know?) thought
        |space/time to be a continuum, and "the past, the present and the future a
        |delusion----a persistent delusion, but nevertheless a delusion,") the
        |arbitrary division of time into calendars and days of the week is
        ridiculous,
        |on the face of it.
        [...]

        I've been reading "Being As Communion"
        again (I have my minor quibbles, but
        some of the insight is enlightening!),
        and the author sees Einstein's notions
        quite favorably, and very
        compatible with the nature of things.

        It's true.

        Everything *is* relative.

        but there are two ways to
        take it.

        One is a false path.

        "Everything is Relative".

        The other, is:

        Everything is relative - to God.

        Everything is in relation to
        communion. Who was it
        that said, Father is same
        as Son and Holy Spirit, except
        that he is the Father, the Son
        is the same as the Father and
        Holy Spirit, except that he is
        the Son... etc?

        A bishop is only a Bishop in
        relation (relative) to a
        geographical place (Never
        simply "Bishop" but "Bishop of
        such-and-so a place"). He is
        only a Bishop in relation to having a
        flock. He is only a Bishop in relation to
        the Eucharist. He is only a Bishop in relation
        to other Bishops.

        Everything *is* relative.

        But it is not relative to nothing.

        Absolutes that are *not* relative
        (the *individual*, pulling himself up
        only by his own bootstraps), the "man who is
        an island" - will DIE.

        Even God is relative. To God.

        There is no God without Father
        relating to Son