[orthodox-synod] Re: Status of St. Isaac Skete in Wisconsin (fwd)

  • iov brianovich
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
      Not to be a thimblehead, as I agree that one should try to avoid this(unless
      perhaps someone is having an obscure saint you much desire(like your name
      saint), in which case you will buy even from Moscow Patriarchate or any
      source that has baggage with it), but if one were strict in this, and not
      being inconsistent no one would have hardly any books to read as most of the
      good english books are published by the Hermanites, which is their life
      blood, or Catholics(esp. Cistercians) or this and that group who is not in
      communion with us. Sorry to be a twit.
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
        ...if one were strict in this, and not
        >being inconsistent no one would have hardly any books to read as most of the
        >good english books are published by the Hermanites, which is their life
        >blood, or Catholics(esp. Cistercians) or this and that group who is not in
        >communion with us.

        Hey, come on, Michael! We publish quite a few good books (about 50 of
        them, not counting any of the liturgical or music books), as does Holy
        Trinity, and no few others scattered around here and there. Problem with
        books from the Hermanites (and we carry plenty of them) is you always have
        to be on the alert for landmines buried in the text, footnotes or
        appendices. At least the Cistercians are honestly where they are.
        --Fr. Gregory Williams

        1180 Orthodox Way
        Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

        Phone: (615) 536-5239