The need to repeat and repeat

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      [IMAGE]

       About the need to repeat and repeat

                   Saint Nikolai mostwise bishop of Zicha and Ochrid

      "Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of
      these things, though you know them, and be established in the present
      truth" (2 Peter 1:12).

      The plower sows in the field. Does not the plower repeat the same task
      every second? How would he, therefore, plow the field if not plowing from
      morning to dusk deepening furrow after furrow?

      The traveler walks the road. Does not the traveler repeat the same task
      every second with the same effort? How else would he have traveled the road
      and reached his destination?

      The carpenter prepares the boards in his workshop. Does not the carpenter
      repeat the same task with every board, with the same labor? How else would
      he be able to prepare the ordered amount of prepared boards?

      Brethren, is not all of our beneficial works comprised of strands and
      strands of repetition? Therefore, let not the preacher of the truth become
      slothful and let him not say: "I told them so and I will not repeat it!"
      Let not the hearer of the truth become proud and let him not say: "I heard
      it once and I do not need to hear it again!"

      O preacher of the truth, do not be afraid to repeat and to repeat: that
      through repetition you teach and by repetition you remind. Without
      repetition even the field is not plowed, nor the path traveled, nor the
      framework [rafters] of the house prepared. And you [preacher of the truth]
      are to plow, to lead and to prepare.

      O hearer of the truth, do not become proud and do not say that you heard
      the truth once. Truth is food for the soul. You have eaten bread today,
      yesterday and the day before yesterday and for months and years past. And
      again you will eat it, so that your body would be healthy. Nourish also the
      soul. Nourish it with the truth, the same truth, yesterday, today and
      tomorrow and until death so that your soul may be healthy, strong and
      radiant.

      O Lord Jesus, nourish us every day and every hour with Your truth which is
      Yourself O Jesus, sweet nourishment!

      To You be glory and thanks always. Amen.