[orthodox-synod] Re: Status of St. Isaac Skete in Wisconsin (fwd)

  • grsfm@showme.missouri.edu
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
      Fr Anthony said:

      >I have many icons made by St. Isaac Skete and consider that monastery
      >to be a very high quality source. Does their leaving ROCOR and going
      >to an as yet to be explained alternative mean those of us who depend on
      >the high quality icon reproductions and mounting they do are going to
      >have to look for another source?

      Certainly not. The mounted icons are the same now as before they were in
      ROCOR, and will remain that way now that they are no longer so. Buy from
      them, and pray for them, that the issue of their "connectedness" with the
      Church is resolved to their salvation.

      Fr. Anthony

      To which Joseph says:

      I hope this is not taken as the definitive advice on the topic, as is.
      When Fr Anthony says to pray for the monks at St Isaac's Skete, he is 100%
      correct. They have made a terrible mistake and I hope it is not too late
      for them to correct it. When he says to buy from them, I cannot agree.
      The institutions affiliated with the former archimandrite Panteleimon
      (Metropoulos) of Brookline, Massachusetts produce icons and candles and
      books that many people find useful, and yet I would never advise anyone to
      buy from them, lest by doing so they support these unfortunate people in
      their revolution against the Church. A former co-celebrant of Fr
      Anthony's once made an insightful comment when asked by a member of a
      religious sect at an airport to make a donation, even if it were just a
      penny. The priestmonk in question answered,"If I give you even a penny, I
      will be accountable for doing so at the Last Judgement, and I do not want
      to take on myself that responsibility. I cannot make a donation to
      support your religion." Please note that I am not equating the Skete in
      Boscobel with this sect; I am merely pointing out that we are responsible
      for what we do, and will be held accountable for the same. The monks in
      Boscobel have made a grievous error in judgement and have cut themselves
      off from the source of divine Grace that is the life of the Church. To
      continue to have commercial dealings with them as if nothing had happened
      may not be the best advice. I know people who buy products from
      Panteleimon's businesses. I do not judge them for doing so, and I hope
      they are acting according to the advice of their confessors. I cannot
      join them in doing so.

      That the icons sold from Boscobel are the same as they were before is
      irrelevant. The question is whether it is appropriate to support the
      chief moneymaking enterprise of this group while it is in its present
      perilous state, having willingly cut itself off from the Church. And the
      only answer I offer to this question is to examine your conscience and in
      case of any question or confusion to seek the advice of your spiritual
      father.

      In Christ,
      Joseph
    • Michael Tscheekar
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
        Joseph wrote (excerpt only, below):

        > That the icons sold from Boscobel are the same as they were before is
        > irrelevant. The question is whether it is appropriate to support the
        > chief moneymaking enterprise of this group while it is in its present
        > perilous state, having willingly cut itself off from the Church. And the
        > only answer I offer to this question is to examine your conscience and in
        > case of any question or confusion to seek the advice of your spiritual
        > father.

        I want to say that I agree whole-heartedly with Joseph on this, and I
        thank him for saying it better than I ever could. I especially
        appreciate the quote from the priestmonk solicited at the airport.

        Those people in Nebraska that aren't even Christian make some beautiful
        icons too, and there's a Jesuit priest who makes some great icons (along
        with some that show Ghandi and M.L. King and others) too; but I wouldn't
        buy any from them either, for the same reason that Joseph so ably
        articulated.

        The St. Isaac Skete icons are beautiful, and I have many at home. And
        that's the pity and the sorrow of this situation.

        Misha
        California
      • iov brianovich
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
          Not to be a thimblehead, as I agree that one should try to avoid this(unless
          perhaps someone is having an obscure saint you much desire(like your name
          saint), in which case you will buy even from Moscow Patriarchate or any
          source that has baggage with it), but if one were strict in this, and not
          being inconsistent no one would have hardly any books to read as most of the
          good english books are published by the Hermanites, which is their life
          blood, or Catholics(esp. Cistercians) or this and that group who is not in
          communion with us. Sorry to be a twit.
          > > That the icons sold from Boscobel are the same as they were before is
          > > irrelevant. The question is whether it is appropriate to support the
          > > chief moneymaking enterprise of this group while it is in its present
          > > perilous state, having willingly cut itself off from the Church. And
          the
          > > only answer I offer to this question is to examine your conscience and
          in
          > > case of any question or confusion to seek the advice of your spiritual
          > > father.
          > >

          > I want to say that I agree whole-heartedly with Joseph on this, and I
          > thank him for saying it better than I ever could. I especially
          > appreciate the quote from the priestmonk solicited at the airport.
          >
          > Those people in Nebraska that aren't even Christian make some beautiful
          > icons too, and there's a Jesuit priest who makes some great icons (along
          > with some that show Ghandi and M.L. King and others) too; but I wouldn't
          > buy any from them either, for the same reason that Joseph so ably
          > articulated.
          >
          > The St. Isaac Skete icons are beautiful, and I have many at home. And
          > that's the pity and the sorrow of this situation.
          >
          > Misha
          > California

          > Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name is
          required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile is visible
          to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same information to
          orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=orthodox-synod&m=1

        • Fr. Gregory Williams
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 1999
            ...if one were strict in this, and not
            >being inconsistent no one would have hardly any books to read as most of the
            >good english books are published by the Hermanites, which is their life
            >blood, or Catholics(esp. Cistercians) or this and that group who is not in
            >communion with us.

            Hey, come on, Michael! We publish quite a few good books (about 50 of
            them, not counting any of the liturgical or music books), as does Holy
            Trinity, and no few others scattered around here and there. Problem with
            books from the Hermanites (and we carry plenty of them) is you always have
            to be on the alert for landmines buried in the text, footnotes or
            appendices. At least the Cistercians are honestly where they are.
            --Fr. Gregory Williams

            1180 Orthodox Way
            Liberty, TN 37095-4366 USA

            Phone: (615) 536-5239