Acceptance of God's Will

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      [IMAGE]

                                   Acceptance of God's Will

      Saint Nicodemus Hagiorit

      Make firm in yourself the conviction and faith, that all things happening
      to us happen according to God's will and for our profit, so that we may
      gain thereby a certain spiritual fruit .Altough we cannot suppose that some
      things, such as ours sins and those of other people, are direct result of
      willed action of God's, yet even they do not happen without God's leave, as
      means of admonishing and humbling us. As regards sufferings and afflictions
      which are our own fault or due to malice of others --God Himself Sends
      them, desiring us to suffer and be tormented by them, in order to gain
      blessing of virtue, which we are bound to earn if we calmly endure as we
      should trial He has sent us.The same applies to other judgments of His,
      hidden from us, but doubtless right and blessed. Thus, convinced that God
      Himself wishes you to endure hardship and grief ,which assails you, either
      arising from evil nature of other people, or invited by your own wrong
      action, you will cease to think and say as some others do ''NO, THIS DOES
      NOT COME FROM GOD, IT IS UNJUST AND CRIMINAL, AND GOD DOES NOT WANT CRIME
      AND TURNS AWAY WITH LOATHING FROM IT AND FROM THOSE WHO COMMIT IT.'' By
      this they want to justify their lack of patience and gusts and feelings of
      revenge they feel at sight of injustice ;but actual fact the only thing
      they achive is to rebel against God's ordinance and to attempt to cast off
      their life-saving cross,imposed on them by God for their own good,instead
      of shouldering it a with good heart, which would undoubtedly be pleasing to
      Him .And what do they get,they cannot cast off their cross, they offend
      God, and still they gain no peace .On the contrary ,to grief they add
      contention and useless iritation and render their state unbearable ;whereas
      had they borne what happened with good heart, they would have peace and
      would have attracted God's benevolence, and would have eaten richly of the
      fruit of the spirit ....