Re: Appeal of Bishop Agathangel of Odessa to the Synod of Bishops

  • vkozyreff
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      Dear List,

      I am confused as to what will be made «public» and what will not.
      Please see below apparent contradictions, for which, I am sure,
      there is an explanation. Could any informed person of this List
      explain?

      My second question is about the concept of "Public". Do we have a
      Church with two classes of humans: the hierarchy on one side and
      the "Public" on the other? What about the faithful? Are they members
      of the "Public" in the same way as my neighbour (who is not
      orthodox), or are they Christ's friends, those to whom He has made
      everything known?

      What are those "mutual agreements between the Synod and the MP"?
      What about an agreement with Christ in humility, faith and
      repentance? Agreeing with Christ is what garantees agreement between
      men. We need an agreement in Christ's Truth. The orthodox calling is
      to show this "to the Public", not to negotiate agreements and mutual
      concessions as politicians do.

      Louis XVI used to say: "I would like my bishops at least to pretend
      that they believe in God". Before his execution, he refused to
      receive the last sacraments from a priest who had given his oath of
      allegiance to the revolution.

      John 15:15
      I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his
      master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for
      everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you.

      If documents are ambiguous, should they be kept in that way and be
      hidden or made univocal and exposed? Are secret negociations with
      ambiguous documents part of the orthodox tradition? What good can
      come out of such a process?

      Matthew 5:37
      Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond
      this comes from the evil one.

      Matthew 10:26
      "There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden
      that will not be made known.

      In God,

      Vladimir Kozyreff

      Message 12033

      "I am writing this appeal out of concern that the documents
      submitted by our commission for negotiations with the Moscow
      Patriarchate may, if made public, lend themselves to more than one
      interpretation. 'Vl Agafangel)"

      Which is *exactly* why these documents have not been, are not now,
      and will not be made public, by mutual agreement between the Synod
      and the MP.

      Message 11741

      "Telling subordinates (i.e. the flock) that there is no need to know
      what the leaders are doing, frankly, sounds like the Communist
      communication strategy to me".

      JRS: Once some actual decision is made, it certainly will be made
      public in all detail.

      --- In orthodox-synod@yahoogroups.com, "Athanasios Jayne"