Re: Condemning a position, not people

  • frraphver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2004
      Dear Vladimir,
      There is the compromise of Metropolitan Sergius. There are the
      actions of other bishops, clergy & faithful of that time. Then there
      is now. None of these is the same thing and it serves no good
      purpose for us to see all of this as betrayal or call all of
      this 'sergianism'.
      If we believe that Metropolitan Sergius did not save the Church by
      his actions we should also ask ourselves if he destroyed it. In
      effect the question of sergianism cuts both ways. The actions of
      Metropolitan Sergius are not what saved the Church after all. But
      the Church remained. There are thus two seperate issues here- the
      actions of Metropolitan Sergius and the fact that the Church in
      Russia survived. Somehow these two often get confused so it ends up
      sounding as if the actions of Metropolitan Sergius were wrong
      therefore there is no longer a (canonical) Church in Russia. Seen
      through Orthodox eyes anti-sergianism really means the triumph of
      the Church over sin & death; it means the fall even of a Patriarch
      does not destroy the Church of Christ.
      Thus it is with those who desire reconciliation in our own time. We
      do not desire unification with any betrayal but rather with the
      Church in Russia which remained despite sergianism.
      In Christ- Fr Raphael Vereshack
      PS: I have just returned from a week-long pilgrimage. Next week I am
      away again for two weeks.