[orthodox-synod] Sandburg poem

  • LJames6034@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 1999
      I came upon this, in my search for anything that can be taken as "midwest"
      related. It is for my writing project in support of an art exhibit leaving
      Columbus, OH, for Europe this winter. I think the Sandburg poem interesting,
      and suppose some of you may also find it thoughtful. Carl Sandburg was,
      after all, one of the great midwestern poets.

      This poem he called "Limited."

      I am riding on a limited express, one of the crack
      trains of the nation.
      Hurtling across the prairie into blue haze and dark air
      go fifteen all-steel coaches holding a thousand
      people.
      (All the coaches shall be scrap and rust and all the
      men and women laughing in the diners and
      sleepers shall pass to ashes.)
      I ask a man in the smoker where he is going and he
      answers: "Omaha."

      Father Andrew