[orthodox-synod] Log-in annoyance?

  • Michael Malloy
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
      I've noticed that with this list, and this one only, from e groups I
      have to log-in every time I look at the list on line --- but ONLY when
      I'm at work. At home I don't have to do this and I don't have to do it
      with "Ustav" of "Orthodox-Psalm" or "Kosovo news (from Dechani
      monastery)".

      Have I missed something?
    • David Moser
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
        Fr Mark wrote:

        >(such as mangement) inside a specific list. Apparently you can't
        >use the same username at both work and home without having to log in
        >from one or the other. One functional cookie per username. I
        >assume you first logged in from your home address

        Actually, when I read off the web from work, I don't have to log in even though
        it is a different address but same username. Since "cookies" live on your home
        machine (and not on the web server) perhaps it is more likely that the work
        system is set up not to accept cookies and therefore one is never preserved,
        hence the need to log in every session. My work system is quite simple (being a
        small company) and my internet access is a direct phone link from there (but
        through a different provider). Perhaps the size of the work system and
        firewalls/filters/etc may influence the ability of egroups to create that
        necessary cookie.

        Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...

        "Those who are not satisfied with what they have to sustain life but who seek
        for more, make themselves the slaves of passions" - St Anthony the Great
      • Michael Malloy
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
          The theory of cookies being responsible would make sense if it happened
          with all of the e groups I read here and at home. It only happens with
          the Synod list, and only while I'm at work. Everything else is a
          direct immediate connection without the log-in interruption...
        • Priest Mark Gilstrap
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
            At 01:13 PM 12/1/99 -0000, you wrote:

            >I've noticed that with this list, and this one only, from e groups I
            >have to log-in every time I look at the list on line --- but ONLY when
            >I'm at work. At home I don't have to do this and I don't have to do it
            >with "Ustav" of "Orthodox-Psalm" or "Kosovo news (from Dechani
            >monastery)".
            >
            >Have I missed something?

            From work do you always look at this list first? If you
            pull up Netscape and try going to Ustav first does it not ask you
            to log in?

            E-groups uses a cookie to determine who you are. At home
            this cookie is sitting there waiting to be exchanged so that e-groups
            can take you right to your space or even to a specific function
            (such as mangement) inside a specific list. Apparently you can't
            use the same username at both work and home without having to log in
            from one or the other. One functional cookie per username. I
            assume you first logged in from your home address. You could reverse
            the behaviour by using the change username function while logged in
            at work and then entering and saving the same username information -
            which will cause delivery of a new cookie to your work computer. Of
            course you would then have to log in from home.

            As an alternative to having to log-in from work, I use separate
            usernames from work and from home so that e-groups immediately
            recognizes me from both places. Of course you have to be subscribed
            to each list from both names for that to work, so I only do it for the
            lists I manage, or ones that require membership in order to read
            the on-line archives. I set the delivery to "Read from web only" for
            my work address so that I don't overwhelm AlliedSignal's resources with
            my private mail. (// sarcasm //)

            o. mark