[orthodox-synod] Some St. John Chrysostom

  • raynol@global2000.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 1999
      Perhaps I have an idea for a thread here. I think a year or so past, and
      maybe it was Theodora, anyway, someone submitted some regular daily
      entries for a few months.

      I thought I would share with you a little of St. John Chrysostom that I
      read, for the first time, and found his writing to be profoundly
      impacting; specifically his homily on the Holy Martyr Barlaam in the
      November, "Lives of the Saints."

      "And how, one might ask, is it possible to emulate the martyrs when there
      is no persecution at present? , , , It is not the hour to contest in the
      arena, but it is time to be crowned. It is not men who torment us but the
      demons. You are not faced with the persecutor's wrath but the wrath of the
      devil, the cruelest of persecutors. No burning coals lie before your eyes
      but rather the flames of passionate desires. The martyrs trampled live
      coals underfoot, and you must tread upon the heat of nature. They
      contended with wild beasts while you must restrain the wrath of the untamed
      beast of anger. They stood fast against unendurable torments, but it is
      necessary for you to prevail over the vile and wicked thoughts which
      proceed form your heart. Thus will you show yourself to be an imitator of
      the martyrs, since now we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against
      principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this
      world, against spiritual wickedness i high places. (Eph 6)

      In Christ,
      Catherine
    • Edward & Cheri G. Peacock
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 1999
        Catherine,

        This is wonderful and edifying. Thanks for sharing this.

        In Christ,
        Macrina

[...]

        Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name is required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile is visible to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same information to orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

        Get 75% Off Our Best Selling Health and Wellness Books!
        SelfCare.com has everything you need to take care of you and your family,
        plus spend $40 or more and your shipping is free!
        http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1824

        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=orthodox-synod&m=1
      • Theodora
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 1999
          From: <raynol@...>

          snip

          Thank you for this post..hope to see more especially during the Fast. God
          bless all

          Theodora in the mountains