[orthodox-synod] Re: Departed Hierarchs of ROCOR

  • Patrick Barrett
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 1999
      On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:46:20 EST, Fr David C Straut wrote:

      > Dear Brethren,
      >
      > I have updated the list of Reposed Hierarchs of our Church. The original
      > information was supplied by Reader Isaac Lambertson and Deacon David
      > James. I have supplemented this list with information supplied by
      > persons on the Synod List and the Synod Clergy List. I thank all who
      > submitted additional material.
      Any new information or corrections is
      > solicited.

      Rev. Father,

      I am atttempting to supplement your list with
      information from Vol. 9 of *Istoriia Russkoi
      Tserkvi*, published at Moscow in 1997 by the MP.
      Some of it contradicts info. you already have.
      I believe it uses new calendar dates. Unfortunately,
      I don't read Russian, I just make some attempt to
      decipher it, and in some cases the names of
      dioceses are a complete mystery to me. Maybe you
      can make some sense of it:

      > Archbishop Eusebius,
      > of Narva and Izborsk,
      > Ordained:
      > Died: July 1929.

      Evsevii (Grozdov)
      Consecrated 17 April 1912 as Bishop of
      Pskov & (Porkhov?).
      Elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, 24 Apr. 1918.
      Transferred to the see of Narva, 1924.
      Died 12 August 1929.

      > Archbishop Gabriel (Chepur),
      > of Chelyabinsk and Troitsa,
      > Ordained: 1910;
      > Died: 1/14 March 1933.

      Gavriil (Chepur)
      Consecrated 22 Nov. 1911 as Bishop of Akerman
      (vicar of the Kishinev diocese).
      Transferred to the see of Chelyabinsk and Troitsa,
      1918.
      Emigrated to Yugoslavia.

      > Archbishop Apollinarius (Koshevoy),
      > of North America,
      > Ordained: 21 October 1917;
      > Died: 6/19 June 1933.

      Apollinarii (Koshevoy)
      Consecrated 22 Oct. 1917 as Bishop of Ryl'sk (vicar
      of the Kursk diocese).
      From 1918, Bishop of Belgorod (vicar of the Kursk
      diocese).
      Emigrated 1919.
      From 31 Aug. 1921, Bishop of North America.
      From 1927, Bishop of North America & San Francisco.
      Elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, 14 May 1929.
      Died 19 June 1933.

      > Archbishop Thephanes (Bystrov),
      > formerly of Poltava and Pereyaslavl,
      > Ordained: 1909;
      > Died: 6/19 February 1940.

      Feofan (Bystrov)
      Consecrated 8 March 1913 as Bishop of Poltava
      and Pereyaslavl.
      Elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, 1918.
      Emigrated 1919.
      Died 19 February 1940.

      > Archbishop Benedict (Bobkovsky),
      > of Berlin and Germany,
      > Ordained: 30 March 1941;
      > Died: August 21/3 September 1951.

      Venedikt (Bobkovskii)
      Consecrated 17 Mar. 1941 as Bishop of Brest.

      > Archbishop Demetrius (Magan),
      > of Boston and New England (retired),
      > Ordained: 1942;
      > Died: c. 1970.

      Dimitrii (Magan)
      Consecrated 11 June 1942 as Bishop "Dnepropetrovskogo
      i Zaporozhskogo".
      Died 1 Apr. 1970.

      > Archbishop Leontius (Filippovich),
      > of Buenos Aires and Argentina, Chile and Paraguay,
      > Ordained: 1943;
      > Died: June 19/2 July 1971.

      Leontii (Filippovich)
      Consecrated 26 Nov. 1941 as Bishop of Berdichev (?)
      Indicates that he was involved in the Ukrainian
      Autocephalous Church
      Died 2 July 1971.

      > Bishop Michael (Bogdanov),
      > of Vladivostok & the Maritimes,
      > Ordained:
      > Died: 9/22 Jul 1925

      Mikhail (Bogdanov)
      Consecrated 30 Aug. 1907 as Bishop "Cheboksarskiye"
      (vicar of Kazan).
      From 11 July 1914, Bishop of Samara.
      Emigrated 1918.
      From 1919, Bishop of Vladivostok.
      Died 1925.

      > Bishop Michael (Kosmodamiansky),
      > of Alexandrovsk & Stavropol,
      > Ordained:
      > Died: 9/22 September 1925

      Mikhail (Kosmodemyanskii)
      Consecrated 3 July 1911 as Bishop of Alexandrovsk
      (vicar of Stavropol).
      Emigrated 1920.
      Died 1925.

      > Bishop Daniel (Sherstennikov),
      > of Ohotsk,
      > Ordained:
      > Died: January 19/1 February 1933

      Daniil (Sherstennikov)
      Consecrated 1920 as Bishop of Chitinsk (vicar of
      Zabaikalskii) (?)
      From 1928, Bishop of Okhotsk, vicar of Vladivostok.
      Died 1 Feb. 1932.

      > Bishop Juvenally (Kilin),
      > of Singkiang,
      > Ordained:
      > Died: c. 1958

      Iuvenalii (Kilin) (in schema Ioann)
      Consecrated 16 Feb. 1935 as Bishop of Singkiang for
      ROCOR.
      From Mar. 1941, Bishop "Tsitsikarskii".
      Oct. 1945, submitted to Moscow Patriarchate.
      (I believe the text here actually says "reconciled
      to".)
      (There then follows a string of assignments, but
      nothing to indicate that he returned to "RPTsZ",
      or ROCOR.)
      Died 28 Dec. 1958.

      Sorry this isn't more helpful. It ain't easy
      to read Russian when you don't.

      Patrick Barrett
      patrikios@...