The Insights

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2004
      [IMAGE]

      The Insights

      By

      Holy Avva Pambo

      And I'll tell you this, my child, that the days will come when the
      Christians will add to and will take away from, and will alter the books of
      the Holy Evangelists, and of the Holy Apostles, and of the Divine Prophets,
      and of the Holy Fathers. They'll tone down the Holy Scriptures and will
      compose troparia, hymns, and writings technologically.

      Their nous will be spilled out among them, and will become alienated from
      its Heavenly Prototype. For this reason the Holy Fathers had previously
      encouraged the monks of the desert to write down the lives of the Fathers
      not onto parchment, but onto paper, because the coming generation will
      change them to suit their own personal tastes. So you see, the evil that
      comes will be horrible.

      Then the disciple said: So then, Geronda, the traditions are going to be
      changed and the practices of the Christians? Maybe there won't exist enough
      priests in the Church when these unfortunate times come?

      And the Holy Father continued: In these times the love for God in most
      souls will grow cold and a great sadness will fall onto the world. One
      nation shall face-off against another. Peoples will move away from their
      own places. Rulers will be confused. The clergy will be thrown into
      anarchy, and the monks will be inclined more to negligence. The church
      leaders will consider useless anything concerned with salvation, as much
      for their own souls as for the souls of their flocks, and they will despise
      any such concern. All will show eagerness and energy for every matter
      regarding their dining table and their appetites. They'll be lazy in their
      prayers and casual in their criticisms. As for the lives and teachings of
      the Holy Fathers, they'll not have any interest to imitate them, nor even
      to hear them. But rather they will complain and say that "if we had lived
      in those times, then we'd have behaved like that." And the Bishops shall
      give way to the powerful of the world! , giving answers on different
      matters only after taking gifts from everywhere and consulting the rational
      logic of the academics. The poor man's rights will not be defended; they'll
      afflict widows and harass orphans. Debauchery will permeate these people.
      Most won't believe in God; they'll hate each other and devour one another
      like beasts. The one will steal from the other; they'll be drunk and will
      walk about as blind.

      The disciple again asked: What can we do in such a state?

      And Elder Pambo answered: My child, in these times whoever will save his
      soul and prompt others to be saved will be called great in the Kingdom of
      Heaven.