[orthodox-synod] Re: Departed Hierarchs of ROCOR

  • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 1999
      Dear Fr. David,

      Thank you for your wonderful work

      A couple of corrections:

      Bishop Nathaniel and Archbishop Nathaniel are the same person.

      Bishop Philotheos and Archbishop Philotheos are the same person.

      I believe Bishop John (Zlobin) was consecrated in 1945.

      And, regarding the term "ordained" . . . it is generally the custom to
      speak of "ordinations" of priests and deacons, while using the term
      "consecration" for bishops. (In Russian--"rukopolozhenie" as opposed to
      "posviashchenie."

      Hope this helps.

      With love in Christ,

      Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
    • Fr. Alexander Lebedeff
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 25, 1999
        Dear Fr. David,

        An afterthought:

        Not to take anything away from your efforts, but I remember hearing a few
        years back that a Seminarian at Jordanville was working on a list (or even
        short biography) of all the ROCOR bishops as his Baccalaureate thesis.

        Perhaps you could contact Fr. Peter at the Seminary to find out if this
        effort was completed, and if it had been, get a copy of it?

        With love in Christ,

        Prot. Alexander Lebedeff
      • Rjmanz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 1999
          Dear List Members,

          Regarding the reposed hierarchs of ROCOR, how about adding to the list
          any other bishops they may have ordained such as Bishops Petros of Astoria?
          While not a part of the ROCOR synod, being with one of the Old Calendar Greek
          synods instead, he was raised to the episcopacy through our bishops and
          maintained relations with us.

          By the way, the Southern Missions conference was really life changing
          for me. It was a great blessing to be there with Bishop Gabriel, the clergy
          and laity, as well as the wonder working icons. I highly recommend next
          year's conference to everyone! It is a big "dose" of Grace.

          In Christ,

          Nectarios Manzanero
          St. John Maximovitich Mission/ Austin, Tx
        • Fr David C Straut
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 26, 1999
            Dear Nectarios,

            May the Lord bless you.

            While it might be a very interesting project to collect information of
            departed Hierarchs that were concecrated in, or were at one time a part
            of ROCOR, I would like to keep that project quite seperate from this. It
            is a listing of all Hierarchs who departed this life in the Russian
            Orthodox Church Outside of Russia.

            I became interested in this listing of Hierarchs originally because I
            wanted to commemorate all the departed Hierarchs of our Church at the
            Proskomedia before each Liturgy I serve. I am

            Yours in Christ,

            Fr David C. Straut
            The Orthodox Church of Saint Elizabeth the New-Martyr (ROCOR)
            88 Eastern Avenue
            Somerville, New Jersey 08876
            (908) 203-1252

            On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 22:19:59 EST Rjmanz@... writes:
            >Dear List Members,
            >
            > Regarding the reposed hierarchs of ROCOR, how about adding to the
            >list
            >any other bishops they may have ordained such as Bishops Petros of
            >Astoria?
            >While not a part of the ROCOR synod, being with one of the Old
            >Calendar Greek
            >synods instead, he was raised to the episcopacy through our bishops
            >and
            >maintained relations with us.
            >
            > By the way, the Southern Missions conference was really life
            >changing
            >for me. It was a great blessing to be there with Bishop Gabriel, the
            >clergy
            >and laity, as well as the wonder working icons. I highly recommend
            >next
            >year's conference to everyone! It is a big "dose" of Grace.
            >
            >In Christ,
            >
            >Nectarios Manzanero
            >St. John Maximovitich Mission/ Austin, Tx

            >Please visit www.egroups.com to update your profile. Your real name
            >is required, but it is your choice as to whether or not your profile
            >is visible to others. If you don't have web access, e-mail this same
            >information to orthodox-synod-owner@egroups.com

            >Was the salesman clueless? Productopia has the answers.
            >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1702

            >-- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=orthodox-synod&m=1

          • Patrick Barrett
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 29, 1999
              On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:46:20 EST, Fr David C Straut wrote:

              > Dear Brethren,
              >
              > I have updated the list of Reposed Hierarchs of our Church. The original
              > information was supplied by Reader Isaac Lambertson and Deacon David
              > James. I have supplemented this list with information supplied by
              > persons on the Synod List and the Synod Clergy List. I thank all who
              > submitted additional material.
              Any new information or corrections is
              > solicited.

              Rev. Father,

              I am atttempting to supplement your list with
              information from Vol. 9 of *Istoriia Russkoi
              Tserkvi*, published at Moscow in 1997 by the MP.
              Some of it contradicts info. you already have.
              I believe it uses new calendar dates. Unfortunately,
              I don't read Russian, I just make some attempt to
              decipher it, and in some cases the names of
              dioceses are a complete mystery to me. Maybe you
              can make some sense of it:

              > Archbishop Eusebius,
              > of Narva and Izborsk,
              > Ordained:
              > Died: July 1929.

              Evsevii (Grozdov)
              Consecrated 17 April 1912 as Bishop of
              Pskov & (Porkhov?).
              Elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, 24 Apr. 1918.
              Transferred to the see of Narva, 1924.
              Died 12 August 1929.

              > Archbishop Gabriel (Chepur),
              > of Chelyabinsk and Troitsa,
              > Ordained: 1910;
              > Died: 1/14 March 1933.

              Gavriil (Chepur)
              Consecrated 22 Nov. 1911 as Bishop of Akerman
              (vicar of the Kishinev diocese).
              Transferred to the see of Chelyabinsk and Troitsa,
              1918.
              Emigrated to Yugoslavia.

              > Archbishop Apollinarius (Koshevoy),
              > of North America,
              > Ordained: 21 October 1917;
              > Died: 6/19 June 1933.

              Apollinarii (Koshevoy)
              Consecrated 22 Oct. 1917 as Bishop of Ryl'sk (vicar
              of the Kursk diocese).
              From 1918, Bishop of Belgorod (vicar of the Kursk
              diocese).
              Emigrated 1919.
              From 31 Aug. 1921, Bishop of North America.
              From 1927, Bishop of North America & San Francisco.
              Elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, 14 May 1929.
              Died 19 June 1933.

              > Archbishop Thephanes (Bystrov),
              > formerly of Poltava and Pereyaslavl,
              > Ordained: 1909;
              > Died: 6/19 February 1940.

              Feofan (Bystrov)
              Consecrated 8 March 1913 as Bishop of Poltava
              and Pereyaslavl.
              Elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, 1918.
              Emigrated 1919.
              Died 19 February 1940.

              > Archbishop Benedict (Bobkovsky),
              > of Berlin and Germany,
              > Ordained: 30 March 1941;
              > Died: August 21/3 September 1951.

              Venedikt (Bobkovskii)
              Consecrated 17 Mar. 1941 as Bishop of Brest.

              > Archbishop Demetrius (Magan),
              > of Boston and New England (retired),
              > Ordained: 1942;
              > Died: c. 1970.

              Dimitrii (Magan)
              Consecrated 11 June 1942 as Bishop "Dnepropetrovskogo
              i Zaporozhskogo".
              Died 1 Apr. 1970.

              > Archbishop Leontius (Filippovich),
              > of Buenos Aires and Argentina, Chile and Paraguay,
              > Ordained: 1943;
              > Died: June 19/2 July 1971.

              Leontii (Filippovich)
              Consecrated 26 Nov. 1941 as Bishop of Berdichev (?)
              Indicates that he was involved in the Ukrainian
              Autocephalous Church
              Died 2 July 1971.

              > Bishop Michael (Bogdanov),
              > of Vladivostok & the Maritimes,
              > Ordained:
              > Died: 9/22 Jul 1925

              Mikhail (Bogdanov)
              Consecrated 30 Aug. 1907 as Bishop "Cheboksarskiye"
              (vicar of Kazan).
              From 11 July 1914, Bishop of Samara.
              Emigrated 1918.
              From 1919, Bishop of Vladivostok.
              Died 1925.

              > Bishop Michael (Kosmodamiansky),
              > of Alexandrovsk & Stavropol,
              > Ordained:
              > Died: 9/22 September 1925

              Mikhail (Kosmodemyanskii)
              Consecrated 3 July 1911 as Bishop of Alexandrovsk
              (vicar of Stavropol).
              Emigrated 1920.
              Died 1925.

              > Bishop Daniel (Sherstennikov),
              > of Ohotsk,
              > Ordained:
              > Died: January 19/1 February 1933

              Daniil (Sherstennikov)
              Consecrated 1920 as Bishop of Chitinsk (vicar of
              Zabaikalskii) (?)
              From 1928, Bishop of Okhotsk, vicar of Vladivostok.
              Died 1 Feb. 1932.

              > Bishop Juvenally (Kilin),
              > of Singkiang,
              > Ordained:
              > Died: c. 1958

              Iuvenalii (Kilin) (in schema Ioann)
              Consecrated 16 Feb. 1935 as Bishop of Singkiang for
              ROCOR.
              From Mar. 1941, Bishop "Tsitsikarskii".
              Oct. 1945, submitted to Moscow Patriarchate.
              (I believe the text here actually says "reconciled
              to".)
              (There then follows a string of assignments, but
              nothing to indicate that he returned to "RPTsZ",
              or ROCOR.)
              Died 28 Dec. 1958.

              Sorry this isn't more helpful. It ain't easy
              to read Russian when you don't.

              Patrick Barrett
              patrikios@...