Re: [orthodox-synod] question

  • larry most
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 2, 2004
      GLORY TO JESUS CHRIST - GLORY TO HIM FOREVER
      Dear Father George,
      Would you please define Mammon for me. I think that I
      may have a different belief on this passage than you
      do.
      Love in Christ,
      Sub-deacon Lawrence Most
      --- "Fr. George Primak" <primaks@...> wrote:
      > Dear brethren in Christ.
      > We all know that Our Lord Jesus Christ said clearly
      > to His disciples that there is no man who can serve
      > God and Mammon simultaneously.
      > Taking in account this truth, is there anyone who
      > can answer this question:
      > During the period of the Soviet Regime, Patriarch
      > Alexis, metropolitan Krill and others who were made
      > bishops by the order or blessing of the communist
      > rulers, whom they were serving, God or Mammon?
      > Thank you,
      > Fr. George Primak

      > removed]

      http://messenger.yahoo.com/
    • Fr. George Primak
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 9, 2004
        Dear brethren in Christ,
        After the comment of Fr. John that the word mammon means in Aramaic money, I have no other choice but to clarify this point, otherwise my question will have no sense.

        When translating the Holy Gospel of the Holy Apostle Matthew from Aramaic into Greek why the translators, who knew perfectly both languages, didn't use the word money where the word mammon was? I believe that they didn't think that they might confuse the readers by leaving the word mammon. The only explanation, as I understand, is that they knew that Our Lord Jesus Christ used the word mammon as general term for evil and not exactly as money it self.

        There are people who eagerly try to make money by all means, honestly and dishonestly, because the money for them is the only way to satisfy their strong desire to acquire the wealth, live sumptuously and have power in their hands. They don't serve the money but the money serves them to achieve their purpose. Those people by that means abandon the God's world and move themselves into the materialistic world, whose head, guide and helmsman is the master of evil, Satan.

        The Soviet communist regime was the leader of the materialism and atheism, that is why our hierarchy called them as satanic regime in the past.
        In conclusion, when I made the question asking about the MP hierarchy, whom they served in the period of the Soviet regime, God or mammon, I meant God or evil.

        Sorry for the delay.
        Fr. George Primak