About the holy men of God

  • byakimov@csc.com.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      About the holy men of God

                   Saint Nikolai Velimirovic

      "Holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit" (2 Peter 1:21

      This is witnessed by the Apostle Peter who himself was a holy man of God, a
      rock of faith and a knight of the Cross. As a holy man of God he, by his
      own personal experience, explains how the holy men of God spoke and what
      they said and he says: "They spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit."
      However, they did not speak according to their own reasoning nor according
      to their own memory nor according to their own speculation nor according to
      their own eloquence but rather they spoke from the Spirit and according to
      the Holy Spirit. The wisdom of God flowed through them and the truth of God
      was revealed through them. Holy Scripture was not written with "the false
      pen of the scribes" (Jeremiah 8:8), but was written by the servants and the
      chosen ones of the Holy Spirit of God. Neither was Holy Scripture written
      by men whose writing was a vocation, but rather it was written by the
      saints of God, directed and compelled by the Spirit of God. Often, not even
      wanting and, at times even protesting, they had to write as the Holy
      Prophet Jeremiah witnesses saying: "I will not make mention of Him, nor
      speak any more in His Name. But His word was in my heart as a burning fire
      shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing and I could not stay"
      (Jeremiah 20:9).

      O my brethren, Sacred Scripture is not of men but of God; it is not of the
      earth but rather from heaven; neither is it from the body but from the
      Spirit; yes, from the Holy Spirit of God. Inspired by the wisdom and truth
      of the Holy Spirit, these holy men of God wrote: Prophets, Evangelists,
      Apostles, Fathers, Teachers, Hierarchs and Shepherds.

      O God the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Wisdom and Truth, inspire us by Your
      Life-creating breath, that we may recognize Wisdom and Truth and by Your
      help to fulfill them.

      To You be glory and thanks always. Amen.

      Blessed is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly, nor
      stood in the way of sinners nor sat in the seat of the pestilent.
      But his will is rather in the law of the Lord, and in His law will he
      meditate day and night. And he shall be like the tree wich is planted by
      the streams of the waters, wich shall bring forth its fruit in its season;
      and its leaf shall not fall, and all things whatsoever he may do shall
      prosper. Not so are the ungodly, not so; but rather they are like the chaff
      which the wind doth hurl away from the face of the earth. For this reason
      shall the ungodly nor stand up in the judgment, nor sinners in the council
      of the righteous. For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous and the way
      of ungodly shall persih.
      Psalm 1